cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freephone numbers?

davebinman
Dialled in

I use a Pay Monthly SIM card and really just need clarification/confirmation as to which "freephone" numbers are actually included in my exclusive call minutes as I'm old & confused🤔.

eg:- 0800/0808/0844/0845/0870/03** 

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Free numbers are those beginning 080x , numbers beginning 084 & 087 are "service numbers" which attract access charges & service charges when you call.

03 numbers are landline numbers just like 01x & 02x prefixed calls.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/what-are-03-number... 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/how-muc... may both be worth a read.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Free numbers are those beginning 080x , numbers beginning 084 & 087 are "service numbers" which attract access charges & service charges when you call.

03 numbers are landline numbers just like 01x & 02x prefixed calls.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/what-are-03-number... 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/how-muc... may both be worth a read.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @davebinman,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I can see japitts has provided some useful links and we have our Mobile Tariff guide which you may also find helpful. 

If you have any other questions, give us a shout 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ah, OK so it's "just" any number starting 080* and any 03 number that are included
The main reason I asked is that I seem to recall that last Oct/Nov I had an 0845 or similar number in my phonebook as a "Virgin help" number but later found out it WAS a premium number but accounts kindly cancelled this charge once I'd explained things to them

Big thanks for such a prompt reply
'til I think of something else, cheers

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any reputable company that used to use 0845 or 0870 has long since moved to the 0345 or 0370 equivalent.

The predominant users of 084 & 087 numbers now are organisations who want to profit from receiving calls.

Many Google searches have advertised "call through" links towards the top - you call the 084 number which just connects you to the 03 number behind... and takes the difference in charges as their profit.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davebinman wrote:
Ah, OK so it's "just" any number starting 080* and any 03 number that are included
The main reason I asked is that I seem to recall that last Oct/Nov I had an 0845 or similar number in my phonebook as a "Virgin help" number but later found out it WAS a premium number but accounts kindly cancelled this charge once I'd explained things to them

Big thanks for such a prompt reply
'til I think of something else, cheers

Free 0800 & 0808 numbers are just that. Free. Nobody is allowed to charge for them under OFCOM rules. 03 numbers are inclusive, so what ever the limits are on your package applies.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Hi @davebinman thanks for getting back to us.

Have you found time to review the links provided by the fantastic japitts?  The fantastic nodrogd has also advised you correctly.  I hope you're feeling reassured?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

Yes Lee_R, I did indeed see & open those two links which were interesting.

One thing that got me thinking was trying to find "free" calls from my BT landline (with 700 free minutes) to phone my sister in Canada and found things like dialtosave (0870*) Planet (0845*) Justcall (0843*) Call Happy (0870*) 0044 (0843*) ZipCall (0333*) FreeCallsCanada (0330*) but I'm guessing only those last two using an 03 number could/should work (for free)

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Calls to numbers prefixed 084 & 087 will attract a service charge (levied by the company whom you are calling), plus an access charge (levied by your phone provider), both of which are charged on your provider's bill.

Calls to 01, 02 & 03 numbers are included in the allowance whenever your bundle includes landline calls.

Your conclusion regarding 0333 & 0330 is therefore correct.

Once again, the fantastic japitts has given excellent advice.  It's dependent on your plan with regards to the 03 numbers.  For example, if you have weekends only.  Then it is Saturdays and Sundays only.

Evenings and Weekends: 7:00pm - 7:00am Monday to Thursday, then Friday 7:00pm until 7:00am Monday morning.  

Talk More Anytime: 24/7.  

All plans are for first hour of each call.

Regards

Lee_R