Menu
Chimat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent international call on bill and I got charged for it. (under Direct Debit)

I have been charged with £82.80 on my SIM only contract with Virgin Mobile for calling an international number alien to me. I have done my due diligence going through my call log as far back as to October 2018 without seeing the said international number. All my appeal to the customer service to convince them of this fraud seems to have failed as the last message I got this morning from one manager stating; "Hi, Mrs. xxx. This is Desiree the manager owning this complaint. I have read through the conversation you had with one of our advisors and I can say that he has already explained to you that the extra charges of £82.80 are showing as valid as it has been called on multiple times on the 10th of January, 12th, and 14th. Do you happen to have a copy of your bill so you can also the date and time when the call was made?"

I checked the said number 0016699006833 online for further research, and behold other VM subscribers had made similar complaints with the same number. Someone in this community shared the same number with a similar charge as recent as 17/08/18. 

It appears to me VM is either is fraudulently scamming subscribers with this number or something fishing is going on with the system. Why is this happening, please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent international call on bill and I got charged for it. (under Direct Debit)

Hi Chimat,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. 

I am sorry to hear of the call charge dispute, what was the resolution of the call with the manager? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Chimat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent international call on bill and I got charged for it. (under Direct Debit)

There was nothing useful to help me. They refused to talk to me except by SMS exchanges and after pressing for the possibilities of interference leading to this charge, the last SMS I got read thus "I understand if you're not happy with my explanation. Please also understand that this call will not show up on your bill if it wasn't physically dialed on your handset. I can assure you that there are no third party interruption because to be honest, the usages are coming from your phone. We can only provide the call logs exactly as what you see on the bill."

In other words, I am bound by anything the bill reads and that is pathetic. I am an international student with very strict budgets and you are going hit my account with frauds I know nothing about? That is not to mention the potential spillover it will have on my finances. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I see, my apologies.

What is the latest status of the complaint please?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Chimat
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

None.

The last SMS contact was the quote I posted earlier. My bill has remained unchanged and no further response to my registered displeasure.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'll pop you a PM to get some details.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Chimat
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay, I await your PM.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Chimat
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dear John,

I didn't get any further status report after those PM exchanges since last week. Is there any solution to issues raised, please?

0 Kudos
Chimat
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dear John,

I have been pushed to a tired position with VM persistence that those bogus calls were valid and the only evidence necessary for this arbitrary charge is they put it in my call log. All my plea that the number(s) were alien and I didn't make such call fell to sail.

One manager called and in summary, offered a 50% discount. This left me with plenty question about VM with the many sorry on my issue and if I would be happy to take discounted financial pain.

How can I be happy to pay more than I am legitimately and budgetary responsible? Whose responsibility would it be to care for the damage this bill will do to my account and credit history? What reputation does VM intend to gain by grossly inflicting such pain on me after being a relied for over a year on? Why is it difficult to understand and accept that this number did not dial from my phone? How come there is no control system to check this number with the numerous online complaints regarding this number and similar issues until now?

I had another sms saying I would be sent a deadlock letter to further this complaint. I still do not understand why that is necessary rather than proving the call was made. Whichever the case, I need my money back and in future, I will oblige VM to obtain my consent before allowing unsubscribed calls, that is if the unknown number is still their dummy.

Regards.

Chinwe

0 Kudos