Menu
Highlighted
Fv1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fraudulent Account set up using my name and address

A few months ago I received a parcel addressed to me.

On opening it I found an iPhone, mini iPad and SIM card deal. Later that evening someone from the same delivery company called to recollect the parcel saying there had been an error.

I thought nothing more of it but have since had several letters demanding payment or bank details to set up direct debit.  I have contacted Virgin Media many times by phone and email explaining that I never ordered the items in the first place. I complained officially to Virgin Media and submitted a fraud form. The letter I got back said that it is not fraud and a possible civil matter.

I continue to get letters and this morning received a letter from bpo collections demanding a large sum of money on behalf of Virgin Media Mobile Finance! 

What do I do next?  I refuse to pay for something I did not order and do not have.

0 Kudos
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraudulent Account set up using my name and address

So you received a bunch of expensive items addressed to you, your address, your name. You open it, not once thinking "I didn't order this" or "Something's wrong, let me call these people" You let people come back and take it....and you sat there till a bill arrived asking for money. Um, you have a whole bunch of circumstantial evidence stacked against you. Maybe instead of being on a forum you should be calling the police and reporting a crime.
Fv1
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I didn't include all the details in my short posting. Of course I had the usual reactions and phoned family members to see if they had sent an expensive Christmas gift. I also rang the delivery company and Virgin Media to say I had received an unordered parcel but got little joy. My assumption when it was collected later was that someone had passed on my concerns.

Each time I had communication after that I again contacted Virgin Media and asked them to sort it out.

it is clear from this forum that others have had similar experiences to my own.

I posted this as another possible way of drawing attention to a possible scam.

0 Kudos
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully yourself or Virgin have kept historical info each time you spoke to them. If you haven't been keeping your own records, then ask Virgin for those records of when you rang.
Fraud is still a criminal act so, if you believe that what this is, then you really should be speaking to the police. At least get yourself a crime reference number. You can report a fraud to Action Fraud any time of the day or night using their online fraud reporting tool (opens in a new window) or by calling 0300 123 2040.
0 Kudos
Demogorgon
Up to speed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK still going to say that the police should be your first port of call in a fraud case, so I suggest contacting them and getting a criminal case reference number. Action Fraud is a good place to start, I can't post links but it's on Google.
Beyond that I'd say hopefully you've kept record of the times you've rang Virgin to establish proof that you have made prior attempts to rectify this, if not, then you can call Virgin and ask them. The problem is, if they're saying it's the first time they've heard about this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 Kudos