Menu
DotNetDude
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fair Use Policy Calculator

I'm really confused about the Fair Use Policy. Can someone clarify something for me?

I've just signed up to a new sim only deal. I travel to Europe several times a year for holidays to see family, but only for short periods, upto a couple of weeks at a time. "Roam Like Home" quite clearly says:

"Use your UK minutes, texts and data in the EU at no extra cost".

and

"you can use your data allowance as you would in the UK subject to our Fair Usage Policy."

So I read the Fair Use Policy (here) before signing up to the deal. It says

In any rolling 4 month period, you must use more data, SMS and calls in the UK than the EU

OR

In any rolling 4 month period, you must spend more days in the UK than the EU.

which is perfect as I'm only going for holidays.

However, I was just looking at the fair use policy again, now that the sim has turned up, and it says "Under Roam Like Home Regulations we may apply a monthly data cap", and links onto this website:

https://store.virginmedia.com/FUP-Calculator.html

Which, if I enter my details, it says I can actually only use 9.61Gb of data abroad.

The whole line very clearly says

"So, as you are a customer on a £23 per month Virgin Mobile plan, with a data allowance of 40 GB, your EU fair data usage limit will be 9.61 GB. Therefore, you can only use 9.61 GB of your 40 GB allowance within the EU before any surcharge is applied."

This is completely the opposite of the Roam at home details that say "Use your UK minutes, texts and data in the EU at no extra cost".

So now I'm confused. I purposely signed up to this deal so that I can use my allowances while abroad, and that means all of my allowances, not just some of it. It sounds like the Fair Use policy that says "may apply a monthly cap", actually means "Will apply a monthly cap".

Please can someone advise what is going on? Is there a permanent cap on using data abroad? If so, it looks like the roam at home tag line of

"Use your UK minutes, texts and data in the EU at no extra cost"

actually only means

"Use your UK minutes, texts but only some of your data in the EU at no extra cost".

Thanks

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fair Use Policy Calculator

Yep it's 9.61Gb for each charging period. It resets on your refresh date so if you used say 3Mb abroad and then you refreshed whilst away you would then have 9.61gb to use in the next charging period.

I think most networks have some sort of policy. My main network limits me to 19Gb out of my 30Gb allowance. Not too bad for me as I have a dual SIM phone and can use data on one network whilst leaving my main network to handle calls. The second one has 6Gb so I have 25Gb per month n total.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DotNetDude
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. So the Virgin Mobile "Roam like home" page is just completely misleading.
To my knowledge I don't have this restriction with O2 or directly with EE, and the Three limit is fixed at a much higher 19Gb.
Guess I'll be cancelling the new plan. How disappointing...

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ee is 15gb of your allowance I believe. 

All linked to the EU wholesale data rate which is about £4 per gb +vat this year.

This charge is absorbed by the operators generally and they all have their own rules. The mno's have generally higher tariffs and can give away more data without it eating into their bottom line as much.

I just can't work out if the fup calculator is based on the standard allowance only or that plus any promotional data.

I agree with you about the misleading statement "roam like home". It wouldn't be the first time vm has done this though .

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And of course no one has agreed what is going to happen after Brexit as we are leaving the organisation that controls all this. 

It's OK the UK operators saying they hope things stay the same but there are a lot of variables.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Was reading this yesterday, how much is actually for real though?

https://www-moneysavingexpert-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/02/mobi...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@paulchambers061 said: "I just can't work out if the fup calculator is based on the standard allowance only or that plus any promotional data."

I don't think anyone of us has fully understood this 😂

If I understand/remember it correctly, promotional data does NOT count ☹️

But I believe, they have to allow for your rollover?, there is an old thread about it - but as usual I can not find it.

ie: one of my SIM's is an old plan at £6 with 1GB inclusive and 4GB promotional, so could use the 1GB, but up to 2GB if we still had the 1GB rollover left to use (the top for £6 is 2.51GB).  Hopefully one of the Forum Team will jump in and confirm right or not????.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

@paulchambers061 said: "I just can't work out if the fup calculator is based on the standard allowance only or that plus any promotional data."

I don't think anyone of us has fully understood this 😂

If I understand/remember it correctly, promotional data does NOT count ☹️

But I believe, they have to allow for your rollover?, there is an old thread about it - but as usual I can not find it.

ie: one of my SIM's is an old plan at £6 with 1GB inclusive and 4GB promotional, so could use the 1GB, but up to 2GB if we still had the 1GB rollover left to use (the top for £6 is 2.51GB).  Hopefully one of the Forum Team will jump in and confirm right or not????.

Looks like the data rollover being included I wrote - is complete rubbish and misleading 😞

Beleive the best explanation I can find on the FUP is in this post, of cause the prices are out of date now  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/roaming-surcharges/m-p/3460877/highlight/true#M83...

0 Kudos