Menu
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Experience of signal boosters

Hi I’ve had answers on signals in the Welsh Valleys, now I need to ask the follow up question. Customer Services cannot help except for walk to the top of the hill.

I’ve been reading up on signal boosters, anybody have any experience please? I’m 4g, unlimited.

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Experience of signal boosters

The short answer is that if you know someone on EE (and I mean EE-proper, not an EE reseller) who has a signal box, then you can probably hop onto that for signal.

Other than that, if you're looking at the need for signal boosters, then to be honest you're better off looking at one of the main networks with either WiFi calling and/or 4G800.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As you have no Wifi then the EE box is no. They are 3G anyway

For a legal signal booster for your Van you are looking at a starting price around £300.

As I say, check what signal other campers have on what network. Going to be a lot cheaper than buying a booster which may or may not work. Remember it has to pick up a signal at your location. You can't boost what is not there.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You make a very good point about WiFi in caravans enlli!!

For the benefit of the OP, then.. basically the signal you see on your mobile is the signal you will get via Virgin Mobile (or indeed any other EE MVNO - PlusNet, AsdaMobile, take your pick).

EE may have additional coverage on 800Mhz that (if present) will certainly improve fringe service, otherwise you probably are looking at choosing another network. You're perhaps not aware that there are only 4 physical networks in the UK - EE, 3, Vodafone & O2. Every other provider simply piggybacks onto one of these. And for very valid technical reasons that enlli has hinted at, 3 & EE use additional 4G bands that their resellers don't have access to. VF & O2 don't have those issues, so for example Voxi Mobile will basically be the same coverage as Vodafone or Giffgaff cf O2.

Asking around other campers is definitely the way to go.

0 Kudos