cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 28 on texts to Europe

David-J-Taylor
Up to speed

I can send texts in the UK.  When I try to send a text to a Dutch number, from the UK, I get an error 28.  When I tried this yesterday I got "You've hit your spending cap".  As far as I know I've never set a spending cap.  I'm on the £6.27 (now) ans pay monthly.  Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for confirming this for me @David-J-Taylor.

As you have no issue sending text to UK numbers, this will be because of the charges to send text from the UK to EU countries. This outlined here with the costs on the 4th page, if needed. 

You can send text for free from EU countries to UK number, but you cannot send text for free/inclusive in package to non UK numbers. 

You will need to edit your spending cap and also change any international call bars you have on the account. You can manage all this from your online account. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @David-J-Taylor

Welcome back to the community. 

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with sending texts abroad. When you look at your online account what is mentioned on your spending cap? Do you have any issues texting UK numbers?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Thanks, Carley!  No problems in sending UK texts  Spending cap says:

Only use monthly allowances

but I'm allowed unlimited texts.  I see no mention of extra charges for sending texts to Europe on the web site.  So do I need to set up a spending cap, how much for a dozen texts a month?

Thank you for confirming this for me @David-J-Taylor.

As you have no issue sending text to UK numbers, this will be because of the charges to send text from the UK to EU countries. This outlined here with the costs on the 4th page, if needed. 

You can send text for free from EU countries to UK number, but you cannot send text for free/inclusive in package to non UK numbers. 

You will need to edit your spending cap and also change any international call bars you have on the account. You can manage all this from your online account. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

That worked.  It was the default zero spending cap which prevented sending texts.  I think this could be better explained on the Web, and in the "Error 28" message!  Thanks.

Glad to hear that worked for you @David-J-Taylor
I will feedback to the team to look at the website and the error message to see if this can be improved. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to come back to the community again, we'll be here to help if needed. 

All the best, 

Here to help 🙂
Carley