cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending of Pay As You Go

dandecay
On our wavelength

Please can somebody inform me exactly WHEN I will no longer be able to use my PAYG sim card. I keep getting conflicting dates from the different Virgin agents that I speak to, not to mention the dates mentioned in newspaper articles. Do different people have different dates when their PAYG services will be terminated as Virgin stops this service. I do not feel that Virgin are handling this very well. I was told it would be in January 2022 but then today a rep told me it would be in October!

So, Virgin, please may i have an answer - I am currently using my PAYG in the USA.

Thanks

79 REPLIES 79

As a deafblind user of PAYG I am getting very confused as to what to do next, I've tried the chat function online, to ask for the best options but there has been 45 mins waits every time I try! Being deaf I have a problem hearing over the phone so I am in reality stuck ! Do I change to a monthly contract when I only use the phone for text alerts and OTP's? A £10 PAYG top up lasts me quite some time Thank you VM for making life even more difficult than it already is. Do they care about accessibility for disabled customers no I don't think so They don't seem to know I need help even when I ask!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For your usage you need to move networks Asda Mobile do a PAYG plan that fits.

You can get a PAC code to move your number

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

dandecay
On our wavelength

Vodafone were extremely helpful to me when I switched over a few weeks ago. You can do it all online. You order a sim card online.They will send you a new sim card and when it arrives you can activate it online. For £10 you can get a PAYG big bundle for unlimited calls and texts and 5GB data per month. For a pure PAYG, not the bundle, you can receive calls and texts free. It cost 35p/minute to make calls. An alternative is to pay £1 per day to make as many calls and texts as you want for 24 hours, or £2/day for 50mb data. You must make a chargeable call every 90 days. Whilst overseas it costs 8p to send a text, 36p/minute to receive a call and 60p/minute to make a call. These overseas prices are a hell of a lot cheaper than Virgin was.

To be fair, Virgin were helpful in the changeover period. On one call they gave me a PAC code to keep my number and they organized a refund of money that was still in the PAYG account (I received the refund within a week).

Probably already been posted but Welsh operator RWG Offer a free, yes free payg to low usage customers..! Check out their website.

I jumped ship last week.....and yesterday got a cheque for £37 .18 p......although it can take up to 14 days any payment for call credit......

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @dandecay,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry about the pay as you go.

Have you got all the answers you were looking for?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

dandecay
On our wavelength

Thanks, Hayley.

Yes, I did get the answers that I was looking for, especially from this very helpful forum. However, it is a pity that some of the Virgin representatives that I spoke to over the 'phone did not have their facts right. Whilst being polite and trying to be helpful, they could have been better informed.

It is a shame that Virgin decided to stop their PAYG. Those Virgin PAYG clients who have jumped ship will probably not return to Virgin when they want a monthly contract or something more than a PAYG.

Once again, thanks Hayley.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming this @dandecay 🙂

I am glad the forums team have been able to help with this! I am sorry for the experience over the phone.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Virgin refusing to refund credit by cheque. Very poor. One should not have to provide bank/card details to obtain a refund. I paid in cash, I want a cash refund. The whole point of payg is not to provide these cheating mobile companies with your bank/card details. I've been with VM for over a decade, multiple mobiles, broadband etc. You just keep getting greedier and greedier. I guess you need to pay for all those expensive TV adverts and sponsorships, that only increase costs yet add zero to customer value. Keep the piddly credit, your vain attempt to present as CSR is laughable. Bye bye, Virgin.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think you are going to be disappointed in the future as Old Style PAYG is phased out across the board. There are less choices every year, a trend set to continue 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks