teabag
Superstar
Message 13 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: EE’s 800 MHz frequency

The band's Virgin have/use are at bottom of list on link

https://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

That site contradicts itself:

https://www.4g.co.uk/virgin-mobile-4g-coverage-network-summary/

As Virgin Mobile is an EE MVNO it uses the same 4G spectrum bands as EE. That means it has access to the 800MHz band, the 1800MHz band, the 2100MHz band and the 2600MHz band. Between the four of them Virgin Mobile is equipped to deliver reliable 4G signals both in urban and rural locations, over long distances and through walls, while still being able to deliver the capacity needed in busy areas.

But I've seen a post on EE's forum to say the current lack of 800Mhz use on devices may be down to no VoLTE yet for Virgin Mobile. Once Virgin Mobile get that, they may be able to use 800Mhz.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 15 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr wrote:

@teabag wrote:

So that site contradicts itself:

As Virgin Mobile is an EE MVNO it uses the same 4G spectrum bands as EE. That means it has access to the 800MHz band, the 1800MHz band, the 2100MHz band and the 2600MHz band. Between the four of them Virgin Mobile is equipped to deliver reliable 4G signals both in urban and rural locations, over long distances and through walls, while still being able to deliver the capacity needed in busy areas.

But I've seen a post to say the lack of 800Mhz access is mainly down to no VoLTE yet for Virgin Mobile. Once Virgin Mobile get that, they will be able to use 800Mhz for it.

800MHz is band 20, as of yet EE have not shared use of band 20 to any of their MVNO's.  Just being a case of band 20 slows to a halt with to many users, and with EE being the biggest - they need it all for their own, with 5g on the horizon - things could change.

VOLTE works over band 20, but you do not need it to use band 20, my other SIM's, BT and ID both connect to band 20 fine - but never for my Virgin SIM's.

0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 16 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

VOLTE works over band 20, but you do not need it to use band 20, my other SIM's, BT and ID both connect to band 20 fine - but never for my Virgin SIM's.

Can I just clarify one thing with that statement please... are you saying you have used Band 20 on EE without VoLTE? For a voice call? Because I'm 99.999% sure that is not possible. You may be able to use 4G800 on other networks without VoLTE devices, but certainly not on EE.

EE have had to make exceptions to the "VoLTE devices only" to allow EE-supplied data dongles to work in Band-20 only areas.

Vodafone & O2 built their 2G & 3G networks using a 900Mhz base layer with 1800/2100Mhz added-on, so 4G800 can always have a 2G/3G fallback layer - assuming of course they don't build 4G-only sites.

EE & 3 don't have that setup, their base-layer is 1800 & 2100Mhz, so using low-bands opens up new coverage areas - not to mention some especiall remote & ESN sites only being built with 800Mhz and nothing else. So no VoLTE equals no voice calls in those areas. Way off-topic for Virgin Mobile, but perhaps worth explaining for the benefit of the thread.

teabag
Superstar
Message 17 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Something I should have kept out of I think, above my head :-)

All I can say, the BT SIM was in son's phone, a Samsung A5 and in a couple of areas where myself/wife we're both struggling for signal/data use with our Virgin SIM's - my son with BT SIM had reasonable signal and data working well, that's the part where I presumed he must be on band 20 and we were not :-)

Selgovae
Up to speed
Message 18 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Japitts have a look near the bottom of this review page. 

0 Kudos
DickBranston
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 36
Flag for a moderator

VM allow you to cancel their SIM-only packages within 14 days without further charges.

If EE do the same then you could just apply to join both and compare them.

I'd expect EE to have at least adequate coverage without the 800MHz bands, as they didn't have this at all until recently - it really should be the icing, not the cake itself.  I certainly have no issues at all with VM's mobile coverage but I'm not a city-dweller so it's probably less relevant to me.

I'm currently on VM's 200GB for £20 package (lifetime deal) so there's no chance of me going elsewhere.  This is a good reason to join Virgin - the next time they have a daft offer you can switch to it, as I did one month into my contract.  I doubt that EE will have a deal like this any time soon.

0 Kudos
Sam-7
Tuning in
Message 20 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Simple,I just asked VM custmer service who told me their 4g frequancy was 2600MHz.

I used Asda sim and their 4g seems to be faster that VM 4g.

0 Kudos