cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duel sim, and use in USA

GaryMack
Tuning in

Hi. I've got the S20FE and want to use it in the USA. If i get a 'local sim', will it work while i'm there, or will the phone need to be 'unlocked' first?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @GaryMack, if the handset is unlocked, you should be able to use any SIM card you choose in the handset.

Have you possibly researched any SIM cards that offer exclusive packages for USA roaming, that are based in the UK?

You do also of course have the opportunity to utilise Wi-Fi in multiple locations in the USA - if you're going to NYC for instance, you literally can't move without some free Wi-Fi!

With a Wi-Fi connection, you will be able to utilise apps such as WhatsApp to make calls and send messages/pictures too

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

Hi David. Thanks for the reply. My mobile isn't unlocked, yet, but ive also got a US sim card that i bought on a recent trip so i could use that. I'll also check out the UK based sim cards that you mentioned, as i wasn't aware of them. 

Thanks again for your advice, mate. 

Regards, Gary

Thanks for coming back to me @GaryMack, I personally used a UK based mobile phone provider for a sim card for data when in the US in 2019 - it was suppose to include calls but sadly that function didn't work. 

Data worked perfectly and allowed me to get from A to B with cabs and navigation and was on a PAYG agreement, so wasn't locked into anything

Bit of research and you'll find a suitable arrangement I'm sure.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn