cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does spending cap work abroad?

Eliza123
Joining in

Please can you tell me whether putting a spending cap on my daughter's phone will stop her running up a large bill for using data abroad (not in EU country). I'd like her to be able to use it for texts and calls so don't want to turn roaming off. 

Thank you

Elizabeth 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

It does work - what I will advise on this though Eliza123, then you're abroad (your daughter) we rely on the data being sent back to us from that country and it's network - with that, there can be a delay in receiving the information. So, what can happen if the phone is used multiple times at once for different chargeable things, we wouldn't put the charge on the account until we have it.

The cap that is set would always be at the same amount you have set it at - but as mentioned above, the data of the usage may take it over the amount. It wouldn't charge for anything after the spend cap has been reached, just anything before it was. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Eliza123

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

Could you please tell us what country they are travelling to?

This will help us to give you the correct information for that location.

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

She's going to Canada, I want her to stay  under her spending cap as I am the account holder and pay the bill. I'm just checking spending cap still works abroad. Thank you. 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

It does work - what I will advise on this though Eliza123, then you're abroad (your daughter) we rely on the data being sent back to us from that country and it's network - with that, there can be a delay in receiving the information. So, what can happen if the phone is used multiple times at once for different chargeable things, we wouldn't put the charge on the account until we have it.

The cap that is set would always be at the same amount you have set it at - but as mentioned above, the data of the usage may take it over the amount. It wouldn't charge for anything after the spend cap has been reached, just anything before it was. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thank you, just checking I won't have to pay virgin anything above the spending cap that I have set, even with the delay in usage being received by virgin and I think that you are saying that any spends won't be charged after the spending cap is reached - is that correct? 

Many thanks, 

Elizabeth 

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Anything that is billed would be for usage that has been used from the phone - so it would need to be paid for. I am not saying that it will happen 100% but it can happen just because of the delay from going international etc. The billing system is always accurate. What I am trying to explain, poorly I may add haha, apologies. 

If you have a spend cap for let's say £5 - if the information is received in real time - it would cut off at £5. 

If you have a spend cap for let's say £5 - if the information has a slight delay in getting back to us, there might be a chance that it could go slightly over. But once the system recognises it's gone over £5 it would not allow the phone to be used any more. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.