cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialling 00800 number

JudithS
Joining in

When  try to dial an 00800 number on my mobile, the call appears to connect, but I can't hear anything. Calls to other numbers work fine and I can use the same 00800 number fine on my (BT) landline. It's important because the particular 00800 number is an international number for roadside assistance, so would be stuck if my car broke down.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JudithS

Welcome to our community and thanks for your post - 00800 numbers are free from most landlines; however, this number is classed as a chargeable international number when calling from a mobile. This is the case with most mobile companies. 

As our user @enlli - please do check your online account to see if you have a spending cap or any restrictions on your account to stop you calling a number outside of your allowances. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The system my initially see it as a chargeable International call. Go into your online account and make sure your spending cap is not set to zero or allowances only.

However it should be free

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JudithS

Welcome to our community and thanks for your post - 00800 numbers are free from most landlines; however, this number is classed as a chargeable international number when calling from a mobile. This is the case with most mobile companies. 

As our user @enlli - please do check your online account to see if you have a spending cap or any restrictions on your account to stop you calling a number outside of your allowances. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

I have the exact same issue as op. I have an untouched £5 spending cap and both International call barring and premium call barring are off.

Can you tell me what's the problem? I also need to be able to make call to a 00800 as it is my health insurance contact number.

Sorry to hear that this is happening to you @despe.

I have been able to look into your account and cannot see anything that would be causing you you to have the issues with international dialling problems. As you said you have no spending cap on your account and and you have no barring set on your handset.

I have turned international barring on and off again, I hope that this can reset the connection, please can you give this a try and let me know if that helps at all.

Regards

Steven_L

Hi @Steven_L,

Thanks for checking but as op described, "the call appears to connect, but I can't hear anything".

I checked this +800 number with someone's landline and it worked.

Hey despe,

Im working on this with one of my mobile faults colleagues.

Can you confirm the location of the business that you're trying to call?

Also can you confirm the full number that you're calling? We will be able to look into this further for you with this information.

Regards

Steven_L

Thanks Steven_l, I PM'ed you with the details.

Thanks for confirming the information @despe.

I will get this looked into further and hopefully will have a response and resolution for you soon. 

Thanks

Steven_L

Me again @despe.

Please could you try the number again, we have turned calling barring on and taken it off again in hope that this resets the connections, everything looks ok, if you could try to call the number again and let me know if you have the same issues.

Regards

Steven_L