cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in iMessages being sent

IncredibleSulk1
Tuning in

Hello

Ever since joining VM back in September 2018 when I send an iMessage there is a delay of around 2-3 minutes in the message being sent and the blue bar at the top slowly moves across. This doesn’t happen when I am on WiFi and only seems to happen when I am on 4G or mobile data. 

I have spoke with Apple support and it isn’t something at their end as they have done extensive troubleshooting but to no avail. I am using an Apple iPhone XR

I’ve attached an image for reference. 

Thank

D687B7E6-DAF8-4571-B79D-EB46D2AAC63B.jpeg

134 REPLIES 134

No worries, I'll pop you a PM now 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team

miahj14
Tuning in

Alright mate, 

I'm having the exact same issue. Was on the phone to customer service yesterday for 30mins, did absolutely nothing. Told me to turn phone off and then on which does work but who will do that every so often just to receive imessages/whatsapp etc, Another 'solution' from them was to do airplane mode off and on every so often. Absolutely ticked me off when he told me that's the resolution and supposedly no-one else has complained, but I have seen a few people with this issue. Been with them since Oct 2018, was with 02 prior to that for 15 years and not once did i have this issue. What a blunder moving to virgin, only moved as they offered 100gb data and is much faster than 02's, great when it bludi works properly! 

It’s bloody infuriating!!

Ive escalated to complaints to have them cancel my rolling part of the contract so I can move back to O2, at least it worked with them! 

Joe_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi IncredibleSulk1

From your responses I can see the team are on the case and you have raised a complaint with regards to this, I am sure the team will get that sorted out for you.

I am sorry it has come to that.

Thanks Joe_F

dylan_b
On our wavelength

Same for me also - iPhone 8 plus, been with Virgin over 12 months and have had serious issues with iMessages being delayed around 5-7 mins. 

This is also happening with apps that send push notifications (emails, news apps etc) all being delivered several minutes late.

Can someone from Virgin confirm what we should do, as searching on the forums, it is clear that this is a wider issue rather than an isolated one. Should I be raising a complaint? 

Joe_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I see, have you spoken with our mobile team with regards to this, if so what was advised? 

Thanks Joe_F

Thought it was to good to be true, same issue is still there, you wake your phone and have to wait for about 30-45 seconds for mobile data to work even though I have full signal, very frustrating.

is this a iPhone XR issue, a sim issue, or a network issue, never experienced anything like this with EE, which is strange as you use there network??  

dylan_b - It's begging to absolutely tick me off now, I was on the phone to 789 again yesterday, and they guy actually told me its a handset issue after telling me all sorts of rubbish 'troubleshooting' (apparently all 5 handsets I tried the sim on are faulty, even bought a brand new iPhone XS Max and still the same problem). I am trying now to cancel my contract, been with Virgin since Oct 2018. They don't seem to understand ALOT of people are having this issue, nothing is being done to get this resolved.

I brought a brand new iPhone XS Max on Sunday, same issue. Delayed iMessage, delayed notifications, taking time to connect to whatsapp and normal web browse. Once connected though it is absolutely fine, like i said it feels as though it foes to go sleep or the server just takes time to 'log back on' as i read somewhere.

100% this is not a handset issue, either the network or the sim cards. This is my second one but still not resolved. Got told yesterday by customer service that all 5 phones I tried (2 iPhone XS max, iPhone 7 plus, iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy s9) are faulty, LOL! Kept getting told to turn airplane mode off and on, yes that does work but how is that a resolution to the problem, why would I want to keep turning it off an on? THAT IS NOT A FIX!

Virgin seriously need to look into this.

Hi all, 

I've fed it back regarding the issue you're having and so this can be raised I need some further information. 

Could you please pop me a personal message with your mobile number, location and the time and date this happened. 

In the meantime I've been asked if you can try the following:

In the meantime, could you also ask the customer to try the following to see if it helps:

1. Update to the latest iOS software.
  2. Check if their Background App Refresh setting is switched on, this is by going to iPhone Settings > General > Background App Refresh > make sure it is set to Wi-Fi & Mobile Data
  3. Go to iPhone Settings > General > Battery, ensure Low Power Mode is off.
  4. Try forcing the phone to use 3G only see if this helps, to do this go to Settings> Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Voice & Data > select 3G
  5. If the above still doesn’t work, have they tried Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings , please note this also wipes out all their saved Wi-Fi passwords so customers will need to prepare to re-enter their Wi-Fi passwords again.
Emma_C - Forum Team