Menu
ldh44
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Data usage tracking error (bill)

Hi,

Last month out of the blue I had a higher mobile bill, due to "exceeded data usage" on the final 5 days of my cycle (£15 additional charge). I never go over my allowance and I definitely hadn't used data that month to an extent where I would have used it all. I have the Virgin My Account app and always monitor my usage - on the final day of the cycle this had been telling me I still had 50MB left, and I had received my "95% data used" text several days after the date that the bill stated I had exceeded my data allowance and started charging each day. I didn't know if the enforced changeover of SIM card during that billing month might have been related to this discrepancy but the charges were undoubtedly incorrect.

After explaining the facts and arguing my case several times on the phone, I did get the charges wiped from the bill and was told it must be an error on VM's end. This past month I was away with no signal or data access for 5 out of 30 days and on the final day of my cycle the app was saying I had 186MB of my 1024MB left, plus I had only received my 75% data usage text warning, not even the 95% one, so I didn't think there would be any issues this month (I took a screenshot of the app on the final day though just in case). However, I have just received my bill and there is one £3 charge for "exceeded" data - weirdly it's not even on the final day of the cycle, it's from two days before, marked against a 6KB usage in the evening. This is just very random as, again, I hadn't exceeded my data allowance according to Virgin's other usage monitoring systems and, moreover, any usage on the final two days isn't flagging on the bill as would be expected if the system thought I had gone beyond my allowance already.

My data usage hasn't increased and the data use monitoring on the account app and text updates (75%/95% used) still seem accurate and in line with each other, so why is the billing system's account of my data usage not matching these and why is it charging me for "exceeding" my allowance whenever it wants?

Is this a known issue that will be fixed soon? I don't want to have to phone up every month from now on to argue erroneous data charges.

Thanks.

Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data usage tracking error (bill)

Hi there Idh44, thank you for your post.

Just to confirm is this £3 charge followed by charges on the days after or is it just this specific day only?

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ldh44
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nathan,

The second occasion that prompted my post was a £3 charge that wasn't followed by further charges on subsequent days. It was literally one 6kb usage that was marked as exceeded usage and charged for, all usage items after that were marked as included.

By now I have phoned up VM again, the customer service person I spole to could clearly see it was an error and the charge has been dropped, but I wanted to know why this might be happening and whether it's likely to continue happening, since that is the second month in a row. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ah i see, i'm glad to hear that the team were able to get this charge taken off for you.

It seems like there is an error with these charges. If you keep an eye on your bill that will be produced this month to see if this happens again we can have a look at this for you.

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Confused-user
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have had this on-going problem of excess data usage for over 12 months now.  My bill says that small amounts of data are being used at the same time every hour, sometimes in the middle of the night, all through the night.  Every time I have called, £3.00 has been credited back, but then I also had a data usage query from when I was in Hong Kong last month and I know I did not use data.  I have called the customer service and the last person I spoke to told me that if I need to turn of my mobile data in between times that I am using it!  I am very surprised at this advice as I have never had problems before with data usage until 12 months ago.

Can anyone tell me if this is the only solution? Constantly turning my mobile data, on and off, so that these small amounts of hourly data don’t take me over my limit every month?

Thanks.

0 Kudos