Menu
DavidJonathen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Data usage charge when roaming turned off

Data roaming definitely, very definitely, turned off on my mobile phone.

Small charges appeared on my account, for "using internet", whilst recently on holiday in New Zealand. The total cost was not significant - less than a £1 per week. But I need to understand why the small charges arose. Can anyone help?

All the usage was identified in my Virgin bill as "using internet outside the EU - in New Zealand", and was for 7KB, or less (yes that is correct "KB") - generating an individual charge of £0.04, or less.  Typically 3 or 4 charges a day, with no obvious pattern.

Clearly if I had holidayed in the EU I would not even have noticed what was happening - the leaking data use would have been met from my UK data bundle. But travelling outside the EU has brought it to my attention - because an outside my tariff charge has arisen.

Can anyone clarify what is going on??

DJ

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data usage charge when roaming turned off

Hi DavidJonathen, 

I'm really sorry that you've been charged for data usage, whilst your data roaming has been switched off. 

This isn't what we like to hear and I can appreciate you're keen to get to the bottom of things. 

Whilst the data is switched off there are features like WiFi assist or background data that might still use some data when you're connected via WiFi.

If you do the following : Settings > Mobile Data > scroll to the bottom and tap Reset Statistics, you'll then be able to see which app or system services is using the few KB of data while you're roaming.

Also which handset are you using? 

In regards to the charges, we'd need to have a closer look at your account and see if these can be removed. 

Therefore pop me a personal message and we'll take it from there 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
DavidJonathen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks Emma C.

My handset is a Nokia 8.

The mobile data usage facility on my handset shows no data usage for the period of my holiday in NZ. Zero. There is specified usage for the period 14 Dec to 13 Jan, by App. Nothing at all reported for 14 Jan to 13 Feb (my holiday covered this entire period). And data now being accumulated for the period 14 Feb to 14 March, by App.

I have multiple small entries (of 7kb or less each) arising every day of our holiday, I can now see from the Virgin bill. So on 28 Jan (nil reported by phone above) there was 7kb at 17.59 hrs, 5kb at 18.59 hrs, 1kb at 19.59 hrs and 7kb at 20.37 hrs - all each incurring a small charge as "using the internet outside the EU in New Zealand". In total for the period of our holiday that cost circa £20.

Apart from the annoyance of the problem happening - which has cost me circa £20 - I am more interested in why it has happened. As I have other holidays planned - outside the EU- and I don't want this happening on every holiday. Please explain what is happening to generate the charges.

How is a personal message sent - in which I would be happy to disclose my account details.

DJ

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks DavidJonathan, 

I'm keen to take a closer look at your account and look at the charges. 

I'll pop you a personal message now and we'll take it from there. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos