cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming text says wrong country

KatyPhillips
Tuning in

I'm on holiday in Italy and was grateful to be able to use my UK minutes, calls and data for no extra cost in the EU. When I landed I got the Welcome to Italy text and all was fine. Later that evening I got a Welcome to Switzerland text but then almost immediately another Welcome to Italy text. Now today, I have again got the Welcome to Switzerland text which says I will be charged for using my allowances as Switzerland is not in the EU. I have tried everything - turning my phone off then on again, turning airplane mode on then off again, turning data roaming off then on again but it still won't return to Italy. Does anyone know how I can fix this or if I can dispute it if I get charged for using allowances outside the EU if I can prove I'm in the EU? I'm not even that close to the border, for the record! 

3 REPLIES 3

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Depending where you are in Italy you could be picking up signal from a Swiss network.

Go into network setting and manually select an Italian network rather than using automatic 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I think that is the case but even when I have manually selected the network I was on originally (which is definitely Italian) I still haven't received a new text from Virgin saying Welcome to Italy so I'm hesitant to use my data until I receive that text as I'm sure I'll get charged 

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Katy, thank you for reaching out and I hope you are having a lovely time in Italy. 

Okay so as @enlli suggested this is true, it will be because you are close to the Switzerland borders and you are picking up their signal mast's.

What you would need to do is manually search for network and from there you can pick the Italian ones. 

I know this could be frustrating but this is the only way you could do it. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?