Menu
PedroM21
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Data roaming charges

I arrived in the US on Christmas eve and, as soon as I switched my iPhone back on, I turned off Data Roaming in the phone's settings. However, I've just noticed a £45 charge for internet usage. I haven't used my phone for anything other than when I'm on wifi, and the timing of the charge is from the very moment I switched my phone back on. I spoke to the Virgin help line, and they said the the problem was caused by my not turning off Mobile Data as well as Data Roaming in Settings. But I thought that the entire point of the Data Roaming set was to bar data roaming? Nowhere on the Virgin website does it state that you also need to turn off Mobils Data. I'm not happy about being charged £45 when I haven't used the phone, and for being given a reason that just doesn't sound plausible. Is there anything I can do about it? I was offered £5 reduction as a token gesture, but still feel this the charge was a Christmas gift I could have done without.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming charges

I agree. Something is amiss. Switching off 'data roaming' prevents the handset from establishing a mobile data connection anywhere other than the home network. Home in this case meaning Vrgin Mobile UK. Roaming for calls and SMS text messages would still work. As would WiFi..

Switching off 'mobile data' would switch off mobile data on the handset altogether, Including the home network in the UK. It should not be necessary to do this as you had 'roamed' onto a USA network which is not the 'home' network.

Trouble is to get anywhere with Virgin customer services.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming charges

Hi there PedroM21, welcome to our forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you have been having with this charge.

I'm going to send you a private message to assist further with this.

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos