Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 11 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming abroad not working

Hi,

The issue with 4G roaming on the new VM Purple SIM's has been passed over to someone to take a look.

billc47's issue is with the old SIM that doesn't have this problem. I can only assume it is the local network where you are. You can usually download apps that tell you what cell site you're connected to.

It may also be worth double checking you have 4G/LTE selected in the network mode.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
billc47
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Enabling 4G kills the data transfer, 3G is eorking fine - I think it’s a local Telco capability issue.

0 Kudos
Capvermell
Tuning in
Message 13 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Yes I'm in Spain with the new red SIM card and have noticed I don't seem to have 4G access anywhere whereas a year and a half ago (when I was last here) i did.

Having said that the transmitter serving our apartment is still only 3.5G anyway so its only when I'm out and about I get the benefits of 4G.

There seems to be a common theme here though that Virgin Mobile is almost utterly technologically clueless and constantly puts its customers in a position where they don't have access to the data service they think they are paying for without making many long and tortuous phone calls to Filipino call centre workers seemingly closen especially for their very poor English and almost total lack of people skills or customer empathy.............

0 Kudos
ednurse
Joining in
Message 14 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I am currently in Spain and am also having issues with data roaming. Calls and texts are working fine. Roaming is enabled on my account and my phone. I have checked APN settings but I just can't get a data connection, apart from twice briefly! 

Any advice please? Will switch to another network if I can't get this resolved.

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 15 of 39
Flag for a moderator

try manually connecting to all of the networks. orange seems to be the most problematic network for vm users in spain.

0 Kudos
Jean92
Joining in
Message 16 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@hi @Rich_B 

@Rich_B wrote:

Hi billc47,

Thanks for your contact via private message.

I've activated your data roaming as requested so I'd like you to now restart the device. It should connect to mobile data automatically but you may be required to do something extra.

Remember you need to have data roaming activated on the device itself to use abroad so please check. If you still can't get a data connection then you need to reset the network settings.

Has this worked?

Thanks

Im currently traveling in France and have call and tests which are working but no data! I’ve checked my online acccount and it seems to be enabled along with data roaming on the handset. Is it possible that what youve previously mentioned needs to be done to my account also? 

Kind Regards, 

Jean

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 17 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi ednurse,

Thanks for your post on the Community and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your data roaming service.

In order to look into this, I will need to take more details. I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 18 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jean92,

Thanks for your post on the Community and welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your roaming service.

If you have already gone through all the suggested checks found on the Community Forum for roaming issues (for example, my post: Can't use mobile in Austria) and you are still having a problem with your service, I will need to take more details in order to look into this.

I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
Jean92
Joining in
Message 19 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi Teri_p

Thanks for your message. I managed to get through to customer services who pushed it through on your end. It seemed to be stuck.

Than you for your help 🙂
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 20 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi ednurse,

Thanks for getting back to me via PM. I have reset your data roaming service on the network now and it should be working.

Please restart your handset. You may need to manually search and select the network if the handset doesn't automatically connect.

Also note that it may take up to 24 hours for your local host network to update.

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos