Menu
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Data roaming, Italy

I cannot get data roaming to work in Italy away from a wifi zone even though it is set to on in my account. I made 2 visits to a virgin store prior to leaving uk to ensure roaming worked when I was abroad but now nothing. 

Luckily my contract ends in April so I can join a new supplier unless the issue is sorted out soon.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming, Italy

Hi Sud60, 

Sorry that you're having an issue with data roaming in Italy, I can appreciate you're keen to get connected. 

So is data roaming active in your online account as well as the handset?

What handset are you using? 

We might need to have a closer look at your account so if it's still an issue then pop me a personal message. 

I'm sure we can get this sorted Smiley Happy 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

At least I got a reply from Virgin but its pretty useless.

Of course I checked to see that roaming was set on my account and on the handset (Galaxy A3 2016) but to no avail. It could not even find a network.

I am not in Italy now so don't know if anything has changed but other users with me (not Virgin subscribers) had no problem.

I am going to Austria shortly and will check there. I also go through Switzerland but will not try there as Virgin consider Switzerland not part of Europe and charge heavily for calls, texts and roaming (if you can get it)

I consider that it is Virgin's problem to provide me an operational handset and an operational signal. If Virgin can't do this then I shall change supplier.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,Sdu60.

Thanks for the response.

I appreciate all things you have done just to make sure your roaming services is working before leaving. We'd love to have you stay with us and we always aim to provide you the best service possible.

Can you please tell what are the troubleshooting you've done with your phone while you're were in Italy? 

Just keep us posted.

^Shay_S

0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is the last straw. In spite of many requests data roaming is not working this time in Austria. Other UK android users with me have no problem but Virgin can't get their act together.

Goodbye virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Sdu60.

Really sorry that you're still not able to use your services even in Austria. This is certainly not the experience we want you to have. We really do love to have you stay with us and give us a chance for this. Have you done manual network search when you are in Austria?  Have you tried to use a different device to see if it helps?

We need to check your data roaming is correctly set up on the account and we can do this via webchat.

If you are available for a webchat, please click the red bubble text to start.

Hoping for your kind understanding and patience on this matter.

^Shay_S

0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My hotel is next to a phone mast and I can register 4 networks but my phone says it cant find any of them for roaming. Do you have any clue as to whats wrong? Presumably you don't have any clients who travel to Europe.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, sdu60.

In this case, we need to do some further checks and some troubleshooting with the handset and we can do this via online chat. Please click the red bubble text to start.

I've also found similar helpful thread to help fixing this issue.You can click here, to know more about it.

^Shay_S

0 Kudos
sdu60
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Data roaming Austria. 

Still no action and no roaming ability in spite of following up links in previous Virgin comment.

Have now received a voicemail +44 7458 333222. On responding to this fm Austria got german response that number is unavailable.

Have tried texting Virgin re no data or picture messaging service "All 789922" but nothing solved.

Does anything work overseas??????

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello sdu60

We appreciate that this is frustrating.

We'd like to access your account so that we can check some of the roaming settings if that's OK?

We'll send you a private message shortly advising of the next steps.

Thank you.  

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos