Menu
JusCar
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Data charges from USA

Hi can anyone help with getting support from Virgin regarding charges already applied to my account please? We are in Florida and when ordering an Uber last night (from my 12 year old daughter’s phone) we immediately ran up a charge of £62.50. This was a shock and seems extortionate. I have tried to call virgin but the voice message tells me to speak to virgin we will be charged for a mobile call from USA to uk. At this rate one taxi ride will have cost us over £80. Greatly disappointed with Virgin customer service. Thanks. 

JusCar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Overcharges from usa

Hi can anyone help with getting support from Virgin regarding charges already applied to my account please? We are in Florida and when ordering an Uber last night (from my 12 year old daughter’s phone) we immediately ran up a charge of £62.50. This was a shock and seems extortionate. I have tried to call virgin but the voice message tells me to speak to virgin we will be charged for a mobile call from USA to uk. At this rate one taxi ride will have cost us over £80. Greatly disappointed with Virgin customer service. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Overcharges from usa

Data on your SIM when you're roaming in the USA is charged at £5 per MB.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-roaming-usa-and-canada

So there was a data charge of £60, that's around 12MB of data. Depending what your mobile device was doing at the time, that could be possible as once a device is roaming data enabled, it's very difficult to control which apps the use the data connection.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
JusCar
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying BenMcr. Is there anything we can do about it - do you know? Are Virgin likely to review/modify these charges or do we just have to pay for our ignorance of things to do with technology? We were in America 2 years ago and never had any charges- feel quite confused and frustrated. Thanks again. Also does anyone know how much it costs to actually speak to someone from Virgin from America? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting in touch Juscar, welcome to the Virgin Media community forums and I Hope you're having a great time in Florida apart from this problem.

The data charges are different outside of the EU, and unfortunately you cannot use your UK allowances outside the EU and our roam like home allowance isn't supported. We do advise everyone to check any data charges before they leave the UK, to avoid getting any unexpectedly large bills after you return from your trip.

All of our data charges are listed on the below link- virg.in/abroad

The data usage on your phone should have stopped when you hit £52 worth of charges as there should be an automatic cap on your account, unless this was disabled. Did you get any message saying this?

You could raise this a complaint if you're unhappy with the situation, using the methods detailed on the following link - virg.in/compscop

Thanks

Steven_L

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data charges from USA

Virgin mobile charges a whopping £5 per MB so it sounds about right for a few mins if the phone has done a few updates in that time

0 Kudos
paulchambers061
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

True, switching mobile data on would have triggered background data updates too(like emails). I'm surprised it's £62 odd though, normally they cap it at £52.

0 Kudos
JusCar
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your responses Steven L and Paul. A text was sent to my daughter’s phone though at that time we were busy trying to sort an Uber and the second cap text came really soon (within a minute I think) after. The £62 is what as showing as extra charges for this billing period on my virgin account for her number- maybe £52 is the capped charges - not sure what the other £10 is. Just feel it is disappointing and disproportionate- been with virgin from first owning a mobile 14+ years ago. I appreciate your responses though ultimately our lack of knowledge leaves us out of pocket with no goodwill from Virgin. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To be fair It may be the case that virgin mobile are passing the cost from the network you used charged to them.  How much is charge and how much is profit I've no idea

0 Kudos
JusCar
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No me neither.

0 Kudos