cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data and phone not working

Gabe109
Tuning in

I have just crossed the tunnel into France and have pulled up at the first service station so that I can get my map up and get directions for where I need to go. However when I have tried to switch my mobile data over to roaming it just comes up with an error code 9999. I then tried to call ome of the people I am travelling with so that I could ask if theirs was working and my call declined. Then later they tried to call me and it said my number was unavailable. I am in France and have no phone amd no Internet now, so virgin, what are you going to do to get me out of this hole you've put me in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No I activated it at 7 am on Saturday morning in the UK, that was well over 24 hours ago and since then I have re started my phone multiple times and it does not work, I can not call ir text on sms and I am unable to use my mobile data. This is unacceptable as I am a long time virgin customer. 

Screenshot_20230514_162223_My Virgin Media.jpg

 that is the message I get when I try to turn it on, and even then I'm lucky for the app to even work.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Gabe109 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of the roaming issue. Did you make sure before departing that roaming was active?

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Yes, I had switched it on just as I was entering the tunnel while I still have service, and then as soon as I got onto it, nothing. I am in France- a country that I do not know, without access to maps and unable to call anyone for help.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, Gabe109.

When you entered France, did you receive any sort of welcome text message to confirm your Roaming was active? Can you also clarify, if is this a Virgin Mobile or O2 SIM? 

Do you also have any form of International Barring active? If so, please try disabling this. Have you also tried rebooting your phone since arriving in France?

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hello, I did not receive a text when I arrived. I re started my phone originally when it was not working.

I have a virgin mobile sim, and I do not have any barring active at all.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, Gabe109. How long ago did you active your Roaming services?

It can take up to 24 hours for Roaming to be fully activated, so you may need to reboot your devices again during this time for the connection to be updated. You can read more on getting fully set up on our Roaming Hub for France, here.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

No I activated it at 7 am on Saturday morning in the UK, that was well over 24 hours ago and since then I have re started my phone multiple times and it does not work, I can not call ir text on sms and I am unable to use my mobile data. This is unacceptable as I am a long time virgin customer. 

Screenshot_20230514_162223_My Virgin Media.jpg

 that is the message I get when I try to turn it on, and even then I'm lucky for the app to even work.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ah, thanks for the clarification on that. Can you please confirm what handset you're using? We'll do our best to take you through some potential fixes that may resolve this for you.

What happens when attempting to make a call?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

Hi, I am using a Samsung galaxy S10+.

When I try to male a call it instantly denies and says "not registered on network"

Screenshot_20230514_171233_Call.jpg

 hi have coverd the phone number when editing the picture for safety reasons, there is a number attached to the contact.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for that, Gabe109. I completely appreciate the blocking of the number, if it hadn't, then our team wouldn't have processed the image so don't worry 🙂

Can you please try enabling Flight Mode for a few seconds and then disabling it again? You can do this using the following process:

1. From the home screen swipe down to access settings.

2. Tap the settings icon.

3. Tap Connections.

4. Tap Flight mode.

5. Tap the switch to enable or disable flight mode.

If this hasn't fixed the issue, please try manually selecting a network using these instructions:

1. From the home screen swipe down to access settings.

2. Tap the settings icon.

3. Tap Connections.

4. Tap Mobile networks.

5. Tap Network operators.

6. Tap Select manually.

7. Tap the network you'd like to connect to.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team