cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Coverage

MartinB1977
Tuning in

Hi there.

I live at M24, (Middleton, Manchester). When wifi off at home, or when i'm within a mile of my house in the general area I have no access to data. What I find weird though is I have full strength, so 3 bars, and the 4G sign. I gather VM piggy back on to EE, who I was with prior and never once had an issue.

If I go to my partners, house, just a couple of miles away, I have 4G or 5G and no problem at all, same at my parents or wherever. It is solely where I live. I could understand it if I had 1 bar, say, but I don't, I have full signal. 

I have tried the basics, on-off, plane mode, reset network settings but no joy. Does anyone have any idea what else I could try? I am on iPhone 12 pro on a hefty contract. Interestingly I can make calls no problem regardless of where I am, so it is just the data that i can't get to work in the area stated.

Kind regards.

21 REPLIES 21

Funnily enough, the Geometric Furniture factory is pretty much exactly where my data signal drops. It is on the very junction where my signal goes when I pass that junction. That then turns into Middleton town centre.

I turned my wifi off at home (in Middleton) the other day to see if I get any signal there. I don't. Data disappears but I can make and receive calls just fine.

Hi @MartinB1977,

We can request a replacement SIM for you to see if this makes any difference?

Let us know. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Ayisha

I have read on other posts and forums that new SIM cards resolve various issues. Failing that I can only assume it is a faulty device. Could you arrange a new SIM card please?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Thanks for coming back to us @MartinB1977.

I have arranged for a new sim card to be sent out to you and this should be with you in the next 2 to 3 working days.

Please let us know how it goes, once you have the new sim working.

Regards,

Steven_L

Good morning, Steven

I received the sim yesterday - thank you. Unfortunately this one doesn't work at all. It doesn't pick up any network, the phone just has 5 dots where it should say 4/5G and the network name. I had a look at settings but nothing there that could activate it.

At this point i'm not sure what to do. I have put the old one back in now so that I can at least use it in the areas it allows data.

Thanks for coming back to us @MartinB1977.

I have looked into your account and can see that the sim hadn't been activated correctly, when you put the sim into your phone.

The activation has now been completed, please can you check your handset and see if this is now working correctly.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thank you.

I have put the new SIM in and it works - however I still have the same issue I had previously. I am currently at home and turned WiFi off to test the data from the SIM. I get the same issue. Interestingly it is giving 5G at the top of my street, and 4G at home - both with a very strong signal, yet I cannot get the device to connect to mobile data in the same area I had the initial problem. I tried making a call and that was instant.

I am struggling to understand why I get strong 4 and 5G signals, but no data connection. I may be looking at it too simply, but I could understand it if I was having no signal, or even dropping to 3G. To me though if I have full strength on 4 and 5G, surely the device should be connecting to mobile data?

Geographically, there is no difference to the Middleton area where I lose connection, to any other area in Manchester where I get a data connection. It is all essentially a valley. So for whatever reason it is, when I pass a certain point in the Middleton area, I lose data connection despite the already stated strong 4 and 5G signal showing on the phone.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

5G in the UK is none stand alone (NSA) it relies on 4G to work. Sadly not every 4G base in an area links with 5G. You can end up with a situation where the 5G signal is great but there is no data. 

Usually this can be rectified by switching 5G off on the phone.

This is a simplistic explanation and things are more complicated than that. Might be the problem here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Enlli, and thanks for the contribution.

I tried that very early on after reading it online. I currently have it set to 5G auto, rather than just 5G. For curiosity I changed it just to 4G but no luck.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK. If you changed to 4G only it is not a network configuration fault. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks