cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Coverage

MartinB1977
Tuning in

Hi there.

I live at M24, (Middleton, Manchester). When wifi off at home, or when i'm within a mile of my house in the general area I have no access to data. What I find weird though is I have full strength, so 3 bars, and the 4G sign. I gather VM piggy back on to EE, who I was with prior and never once had an issue.

If I go to my partners, house, just a couple of miles away, I have 4G or 5G and no problem at all, same at my parents or wherever. It is solely where I live. I could understand it if I had 1 bar, say, but I don't, I have full signal. 

I have tried the basics, on-off, plane mode, reset network settings but no joy. Does anyone have any idea what else I could try? I am on iPhone 12 pro on a hefty contract. Interestingly I can make calls no problem regardless of where I am, so it is just the data that i can't get to work in the area stated.

Kind regards.

21 REPLIES 21

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You mention having 5G. If so your phone is piggy backing off Vodafone not EE

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the reply. I only read Virgin piggy backs onto EE, I wasn't aware it was 5G for Voda. I am 90% on 4G, but every now and then, depending where I am, it wil change to 5G. Regardless though, my phone shows 4 bars strength and 4G when at home or the surrounding area, but will not connect to any data but will happily make calls. 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Martin B1977, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues when using data at your home address. 

I have taken a look at your local cell towers and they all appear to fully operational without any faults. 

Has this been an issue since you received the Sim or has it started happening recently?

Also, have you tried the Sim in a different handset at all?

Let us know and we will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks 

Nat

Hi Nat

Thank you for your reply

I Haven't tried the sim in any other device as I don't know anyone with a Virgin account or an unlocked phone. 

I was listening to music via data the other day and as soon as I hit a certain point in Middleton Town Centre I lost connection. I can pin point it on Maps. I can also pin point where data resumes. I really am struggling to figure out why this is happening as nobody else on any network has any problems, and like I said in my initial post my phone is showing full bars and 4G, so in theory it should be full connection. As also stated I can make and receive calls within that area, so it is purely a data connection issue.

Thanks.

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MartinB1977,

Would you be able to provide the details of the location where your connection drops?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Thank you for replying.

There is a street in Middleton called Townley Street. My data connection cuts off around that location. Bizarrely, I was a little further away in an area called Blackley on Sunday and I had 5G full strength but my data connection cut off there as well. As always I could phone people, just no data.

The issue us extremely frustrating at this point and I am stuck with this contract and device for 3 years. Where the connection to data fails people cannot get hold of me, and most of our communication is via iMessage/WhatsApp. So the phone is pretty much useless where this loss of data connection is concerned. 

Thank you

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What happens if you turn just the 5G off at that location?

Just that 5G at the moment is None Stand Alone and needs a connection to an associated 4G mast. If the phone can see the 5G site but not the associated 4G this can happen. Hopefully this will happen less and less as the network is built out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@MartinB1977 wrote:

Thank you for replying.

There is a street in Middleton called Townley Street. My data connection cuts off around that location.

That area looks really well served for 4G so data shouldn't be a problem.

There are active Vodafone masts very nearby at:

- Warwick Mill, Oldham Road

- Geometric Furniture, Townley Street

I wonder could there be a configuration issue of some kind?

Hi. This made sense to me so I tried it, but unfortunately to no avail.