Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Current period data usage

I am concerned about the amount of data Virgin say I am using.  I use an iPhone X with iOS 13.5.1.

Mobile data is switched ON.  Data roaming is switched OFF.  I have reset my mobile data usage statistics to coincide with the start of my latest Virgin Mobile billing period.

The app on my iPhone now tells me I have used 693 MB in Current Period and 1.6 KB Current Period Roaming (a small amount but it should be nil since Data Roaming is OFF and I've not been abroad).

The big problem is that when I look at my account on line with Virgin, it says I have used 1.3 Gigabytes of data, i.e. considerably more.

Please can anyone explain why there is a difference?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Current period data usage

Hi simon666,

Thanks for contacting us and we are sorry to hear about the situation which you are faced with. From reading what you had said i understand that you have turned of the data roaming and 1.6KB is a fairly small amount of data and 1.6 is equivalent to going on two pages of an internet site which is very small.

We recommend that you go to the settings menu and click on general and then background app refresh. Once in this menu you will be able to stop the apps from using the WiFi to update and either turn this off or select WiFi only.

When the phone has a weak signal with the WiFi and is not able to connect it will signal the phone to use the data. You could only switch the data on when it is needed to ensure that the phone is always connecting to the WiFi.

Hope this helps.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Alex

Thank you for helping. However the small amount of roaming data is not the big problem, it’s just a small one because it shouldn’t be there at all. 

The big problem is that when I look at my account on line with Virgin, it says I have used 1.3 Gigabytes of data, i.e. considerably more than my phone says I have used. 

A while ago I exceeded my monthly data allowance, so I am keeping a close watch on it now. Either Virgin or my iPhone is recording my data usage incorrectly, or perhaps someone overseas has found a way of piggy-backing on my data allowance. I’m just trying to understand what’s happening. 

Thank you, Simon 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One thing to check, is that you have "WiFi Assist" turned OFF in your phones settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Teabag, thank you.  But that might only stop me using mobile data vs WiFi.  That’s not the issue.  I don’t mind using mobile data.  The problem is the amount of data Virgin says I am using versus the amount my iPhone says I am using.  The figures ought to be the same, or at least close.  They are actually very different and I want to understand why.

thx, simon 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not up on the way iPhones record the data usage.  But I'm thinking along the lines, if WiFi Assist is on - does the extra data being used whilst on WiFi Assist get listed on your phone as WiFi usage or data usage 🤔

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have a little theory with what is going on 😉

Wife's plan has just refreshed, online account saying 556mb used already, account recent usage and phone only shows kb's of usage.

Believe it is the 10GB Goodwill data showing high usage of data in account, which starts and refreshes on different dates to your normal allowances 🤔

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that could be possible.  Still, if so, it’s very strange why Virgin don’t make the periods coincide.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to add a picture which adds to my theory, refresh on normal allowances just gone through - but the Goodwill data has not and carried over with the usage showing in account

Screenshot_20200610-132430.png

0 Kudos