cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Check Fail

AdnaanVM
Joining in

Hi,

I wanted to upgrade my existing VM broadband and sim only deal to include an iPhone 12 36 month contract (£29 p/m). 

VM ran a credit check and informed me that I didn't pass their criteria. I was asked to contact Equifax if I wanted to follow this up. Credit score and credit report obtained from Equifax identified an excellent score rating and greens "across the board" including existing DD payments to VM. Equifax advisor said "there is no reason why you should have been rejected based on your credit score and report."

Both documents emailed to creditfileamendments@virginmedia.co.uk as requested by VM for review by that department. Generic response received on 18 Dec where it was clear that my questions raised to explain why have I been rejected for this upgrade application when all my VM criteria indicators are green and my credit score is excellent, were not addressed. Instead a generic message was received saying I hadn't been successful in my application.

2nd email sent to the above address requesting an explanation that day. 3rd email sent today requesting somebody call me to discuss the matter. I've called VM Customer Services to try to discuss the matter and after an advisor listened to my issue, they put me on hold for 10 minutes and I was cut off.

Why is it so difficult for VM to spare somebody to discuss this matter which can be cleared up in 2 minutes? All I want is an explanation as to why with an excellent credit score and history VM are rejecting my upgrade application. It is basic customer service. 

So as a last resort, here I am on the community forum in the hope that somebody from VM will finally get in touch after this debacle...

8 REPLIES 8

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AdnaanVM, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

Firstly , I am very sorry to hear you have not been able to upgrade to the iPhone 12.

With the credit check associated with upgrading a handset, we are not provided with information as to why this has failed. 

As you have checked with Experian and they have been unable to identify the reason for the request being declined, we would like to take a look at the account to check on the history. 

As I am going to need to ask some account specific questions I will pop you over a private message now.
This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

Speak soon, 

Nat

Hi Natalie

I have exactly the same issue.

Spent hours on the online chat with no success.

Advised to get a copy of my credit report from Equifax which I have done, again absolutely no issues, with an excellent credit rating.

Advised to email the report to creditfileamendment@virginmedia.co.uk but judging by original post this isn't going to resolve the issue.

No one seems interested in helping, I'm hoping you can help resolve.

Fingers crossed you can assist!

Thanks

Clare

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I hate to say it but I have seem this time and time again on this forum going back to when handsets went from contract to loan when Freestyle was introduced.

My advice has been to walk away and go elsewhere. People who did reported getting what they wanted with no problem whatsoever. They call the loan interest free but add the payments up and you will find you are paying top dollar for the phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, yes I'm reading lots of similar posts. Absolutely shocking service turning down good business, their loss and will be voting with my feet!

jamesofmerton
Super solver

'Equifax identified an excellent score rating'

the only person that sees the score is you. it is a gimmick that is promoted which needs to stop. 

companies see your credit record. how much you earn (if they have asked), how much is going out and the percentage of credit you have used on a card or how much of a loan to go, any defaults. some companies have their own internal 'score', but likely to bear no relation to something on equifax, experian etc.

a friend once told me that his company also looked at the area and age someone came from and how many debtors were in that area with that company. i found that one quite interesting.

ultimately we can all vote with our feet and try somewhere else. although too many credit checks in a short space of time would go against someone regardless which company they want credit from.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You may be surprised to hear that a number refused have no credit search on file.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Very interesting, although I'm still mystified as to why I've been declined, along with many others. Even using that criteria I wouldn't expect any issues, clearly VM have an issue here if so many people are being declined.

the problem is that companies will mostly never say. that is another area i think should change. if someone is refused credit they should be told why.

if someone asked me for 10 quid and i said no i would tell them why. ie you didn't pay me back last time. not it is sensitive information so i can't tell you.

in virgin's case it may be they just have a higher threshold of who passes. unless the law changes we will never truly know.