Menu
kdclarke37
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Coverage

Recently changed over to Virgin network.  I must say that I am very disappointed with the coverage.  Claims that the coverage is better than other companies are not true.  The network drops out poor signal strength where other networks iv used were strong.  It may be cheaper but the network coverage is poor.  Very disappointing.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Coverage

Are you talking about mobile phone coverage or WiFi coverage from a Virgin hub?

It sounds like the former, in which case it shouldn’t be in the fibre Broadband part of the forum.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

EDIT: good point nodrogd - I "may" have not seen that possibility Smiley Happy

I presume you mean the wifi coverage. First thing is to read through the 2 "pink" posts at the top of this forum board and try some of the suggestions in there.
If those don't help then the next step would be to disable channel optimisation and separate the 2 wifi networks by renaming their ssid's.
If that doesnt sort it to your satisfaction you should get your own wireless access point or wireless router and take control of your own wireless networking with Hub put into modem only mode

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

could try some of the following:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

Visit http://192.168.0.1/ and login with your password (located on the bottom of your hub).
In the menu on the left, navigate to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal.
At the bottom of the page you will find the “Smart WiFi” section. Here tick the box labelled “Disable Channel Optimization” and apply the changes.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think he IS talking about the mobile phone coverage. 

kdclarke37
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I am talking about the mobile phone coverage not as good as advertised. I received better coverage from previous provider.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You may find a few places where another operator is better, but over the whole country EE certainly has the best coverage.

And EE is rapidly filling in any gaps in their coverage to meet the requirements of the new Emergency Services Network which is going to use EE. 

teabag
Superstar
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Quite an interesting read on the Emergency Service Network. Not sure how much it will help our signals, it says in rural areas it may be possible to help us with signals, in built-up congested areas we could be worse off as priority will go to the ESN.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-emergency-services-mobile-communications-programme/em...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm on Plusnet which also uses EE. Sometimes I don't get 4G at home and on one occasion I got no signal at all. So, signal strength is variable although I find that it's normally good.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A couple of posts in this thread have mentioned a comparison between Virgin and previous providers. I wonder if those previous providers are other resellers or MNOs?

(MVNOs don't always have the same level of coverage as their MNOs)

And as someone else has pointed out, EE are rolling out additional coverage to support the new ESN service - but in some areas they are using 4G bands which MVNOs don't have access to.

0 Kudos