cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact numbers wrong format

Gexylady
Joining in

I have an iPhone 8 and since the last update many but not all of my contacts phone numbers are shown in incorrect format. This means I am unable to phone or message them! I have tried several ways to correct this including; resetting all settings several times, deleting contacts and restoring from iCloud (where the numbers are showing correctly UK format) but only a few are showing correctly. Many are in Belgium!!!! Help, please!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Common fault ....read this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/iPhone-Dial-Assist-Problems/m-p/3795425#M121363

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Gexylady and welcome to our community.

Are you able to refresh the network settings on the handset? 

Let us know, Emily.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Common fault ....read this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/iPhone-Dial-Assist-Problems/m-p/3795425#M121363

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

ResidentRob
Tuning in

Hi All

The fix listed on here is only temporary and will change randomly back to the wrong format at any time as some of you will have noticed

Here is the 100% guaranteed fix

1st off the issue is NOT in the phone or the network provider. Most of us use Icloud to back up our phone numbers and that is the problem

On your computer goto icloud . com and log in

open Contacts then at the bottom left of the screen click on the cog for settings then select preferences

In here look for Formats and see which country it is set to. Obviously for us in the UK we want United Kingdom not United States. Once changed click save

Now restart your phone and hey presto ALL FIXED

Good Luck All 

Message to Virgin Mobile Tech support make sure all your staff read this to save the hassle of us customers becoming frustrated with your staff when they are asking for help

Thanks for this but it doesn't work either!!  On my icloud the numbers are in the correct format so it must definitely be to do with the phone itself!  Weirdly, I can make phone calls to these wrong formatted numbers now, but for the numbers it has saved in the wrong format it means I have no idea who is calling me as only their number is displayed when they ring me! (Again then they are shown in the correct format!)

The wrong format is shown like this; 07 810 85 86 53   whereas if this number were to call me the number would show up as 07810 858653! 

If you have any other suggestions it would be helpful!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Definitely does not think you are in the UK

Did you try as we have had dozens of reports to say it does

Settings -> mobile data -> SIM Applications (near bottom) -> tap "Roaming"  -> tap "Select Mode"

I found "automatic" was selected by default.

Tap manual -> then choose National.

Now make sure your numbers are set to the correct format. If not change region to anything other than UK (Settings -> General -> Language and Region -> Region) and then change back to UK region

Enli thank you so much for trying to help me but nope, nothing has sorted this problem out sadly.

I have just tried doing what you suggested above (a few times, even turning phone off in between), as well as all the other suggestions that have kindly been offered, and it hasn't made any difference to how some (not all) of my contacts are displayed. Weirdly some numbers are showing as +44 then then rest of the number in the correct format but without the inital 0, it is more the newer numbers that have this strange format. I agree that my phone thinks I'm not in UK as otherwise it wouldn't show the +44
I did go to the USA in February but my phone worked there fine too!

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Gexylady and welcome to our community.

Are you able to refresh the network settings on the handset? 

Let us know, Emily.

Hey Emily, finally something that has worked and so simple! Thank you so much I can't believe it was that easy! Give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for making my day! x

itsme231
Settling in

Has anyone been able to roam after doing this -  i try to manually select a foreign network but it wont connect.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi itsme231

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems whilst roaming.

When you select the network, do you get an error message at all?  Was roaming activated prior to leaving the UK please? 

Thanks 

Nat