cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact numbers change format

DaveWillis1
Tuning in

My i phone keeps chaging the format of the contact numbers as if it is in a foreign country

various fixes are only temporary

changing roaming settings to national stopped it happening but when I travelled to Spain phone didn’t work

repeated calls to virgin give no help

i contacted apple support who say they can find nothing wrong with phone

if virgin continue to stick their heads in the sand i will have no option than to go to another network

terrible customer service

25 REPLIES 25

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @DaveWillis1
Welcome to the community! 
Sorry to hear you have an ongoing issue with your phone. Can can you confirm what you mean by the format changing? What exactly is changing on the phone? Can you also confirm what issues you are experiencing from these changes? Are you still aborad or are you now back in the UK? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

The numbers in my phonebook change from normal. 01234 567890 to. 012 34 56 78 90 type spacing. Basically the phone thinks it is in another country. I can rectify it by changing to USA then back to UK but it lasts maybe a day. I can change roaming settings to national instead of automatic but when I go abroad nothing works. I am now back in uk and it is doing it again

Thank you for confirming that for me. Can you advise where you bought the handset and what IOS you have on the phone currently? Did you get the handset through us or somewhere else?

Looking at this further it does seem to be a wider issue with Apple rather than a network provider issue. I have found information by googling this

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

DaveWillis1
Tuning in

I have had long investigations with apple support and they find nothing wrong. I am on IOS 15.4 (latest)

I got so sed up I switched my sim from Virgin to ID last week on a 1 month contract

The fault hasn’t happened again where it was doing it every couple of days

The problem definitely seems to be virgin sim. Investigation found the sim kept thinking it was in Belgium. Strange things

Virgin could not help so I had to try something

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The phone thinks it is in Belgium as it is a Belgian SIM. 

Try this

For iOS:
Select Settings from the Home Screen
Select Phone Icon
Select SIM Applications
Select Roaming
Select Select mode
Select Manual
Select National and you are done, go back Home screen to retry

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes I was made aware of that fix but you are in effect disabling roaming if you restrict it to national. I tried that then when I travelled to Spain it wouldn’t work. Picked up local network but couldn’t make calls. I had 2 weeks of no calls. When I returned Virgin did not want to know

The problem is with their sim cards they need to acknowledge this and do something about it

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

After applying the method above - has it resolved this in the meantime? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just change it from National to International when roaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Changing roaming settings to National instead of Auto or International will of course stop it but if as I did you then travel abroad it wont work. You have to mess about changing settings again

My wife has a virgin mobile sim for years which had no problem. They just sent her a new sim last week and now her phone is giving the same problem. Get your act together virgin. It is your sim cards causing this problem. Why do ypu keep denying it