Menu
mke
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Constantly Attacked By £4.50 Text Scam. Virgin Mobile Refuse To Help

I keep waking to £4.50 text message receipts from fake game apps I never signed up to. VM refuse to help and instead allow these criminals to steal from me on a weekly basis. When I call the London based phone number, I am met with a dodgy eastern European answer phone message. How long will VM refuse to acknowledge this fraudulent behaviour? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constantly Attacked By £4.50 Text Scam. Virgin Mobile Refuse To Help

Hi mke,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I appreciate the frustration this causes but there's not much we can do about it.

You don't necessarily have to sign up to anything. These companies have many different techniques of obtaining your details from scanning your open Facebook profile to you accidentally clicking on a link.

You can have a Premium SMS Bar added to your account which'll stop you receiving these messages, but if it's received server side (on our network) then the charge will still be passed on.

What is the number that's texting you?

Have you text back with STOP or STOP ALL?

If you look at the Phone-paid Services Authority then you'll be able to trace the company and that should provide you with additional contact details. There's also a contact number to raise disputes.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
muggles708
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constantly Attacked By £4.50 Text Scam. Virgin Mobile Refuse To Help

@mkewrote:

I keep waking to £4.50 text message receipts from fake game apps I never signed up to. VM refuse to help and instead allow these criminals to steal from me on a weekly basis. When I call the London based phone number, I am met with a dodgy eastern European answer phone message. How long will VM refuse to acknowledge this fraudulent behaviour? 

I'm sorry you have become a victim of one of these scams. It is quite possible that your number was provided via a rogue App on your ‘phone, or you may have clicked on an innocent looking Ad while browsing the web.

You need to be aware that while you are connected to the internet via mobile data, your number may be passed by Virgin Media to third parties for charging purposes. The mechanism by which this happens is called 'Payforit'.  This can’t happen while you are connected by WiFi. Once the third party has your number they can send you chargeable text messages and, very unfairly in my opinion, it will be your job to argue for a refund!

The Payforit mechanism was intended to make it easy for consumers to purchase goods and services and have them charged to their 'phone bill. Unfortunately Payforit has proven to be very insecure and hardly a day goes by without someone reporting another scam on one of the network discussion forums.

I have put details of how to deal with these scams on my website at http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Unfortunately Virgin Media and all of the other networks have no incentive to bring these scams to an end, as they receive a share of the income from them. I believe Virgin Media do offer a  'charge to bill' bar which will prevent these third party charges to your account.

The steps you ought to be taking are:

1. Stop further charges being made

2. Get a refund of any charges already taken

3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority

4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams

Let me know if can offer any further help or advice. These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry.

Paul

payforitsucks.co.uk

0 Kudos