cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistently poor signal.

Tsgfuzzy
Tuning in

I've recently switched from EE to Virgin mobile with my partner. We had absolutely no problems with making or receiving calls until we switched. I cannot call people, and people cannot get through to me either. If someone does get through to me for example my very important doctors appointment that I've had to reschedule this morning due to the poor signal, it cuts out constantly. My partner is having the same issues, however my stepson who has the oomph Sim does not have these issues. Could the issue be with the Sims? It is definitely nothing to do with our devices as the issue only started when we changed Sims. Thankyou in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Well, you will have switched from EE to the Vodafone network which Virgin use.

That said, I have noticed Virgin struggle in areas Vodafone users don't, so something is not quite right.

Is this in one location are all over?

Vodafone Coverage checker here

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply. The problem seems to be all over at the moment.

Can I also add that I currently have just one bar of signal and this has been this way since beginning to use this sim, my partner has the same.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Tsgfuzzy

Sorry to hear you are having issues with you mobile. Did the status checker that @enlli kindly provided show you any coverage/outage issues in your area?

How long has it been since you switched from EE to Virgin mobile?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thankyou for your reply.

It says my area is running on 2G or at least that's what I can gather from the status checker I'm not 100% sure as I've never used it before, it is showing as red anyway, I'm assuming that means there are no issues in the area? We switched last week but we've both had issues with contacting people since then.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tsgfuzzy wrote:

Thankyou for your reply.

It says my area is running on 2G or at least that's what I can gather from the status checker I'm not 100% sure as I've never used it before, it is showing as red anyway, I'm assuming that means there are no issues in the area? We switched last week but we've both had issues with contacting people since then.

It should show the status bars for at least 4G 3G and 2G. If it is only 2G then that would be poor for a modern phone that really needs 3G or 4G to work properly 

Can you give us a nearby full postcode, say a local shop or pub, and I'll check.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for confirming that @Tsgfuzzy

It's very difficult for us the resolve as the mast's do not belong to us, they'll belong to Vodaphone. If this issue is affecting the area then I'm sure they'll also be looking to find and fix the issue for themselves. @enlli is an amazingly helpful VIP, if you can provide them the information they have requested we'll be able to investigate and advise further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi yes a nearby postcode would be WA11 0GR. Thankyou for your reply 😁

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thank you. Both the Vodafone and OFCOM coverage checkers suggest you should have a good signal on all bands including 5G

However, further digging shows a mast out of action the other side of  Liverpool Road and this may effect your signal.

I don't know what phones you have but you may well be able to activate WiFi Calling which should negate the problem at home.