cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consistently Poor Signal

MarkWLB
Tuning in

Dear Virgin Mobile,

For weeks now, probably months, I've had a very poor signal wherever I am, in some places no signal at all. I have an iPhone XR which has been tested by Apple senior technicians and the phone is functioning perfectly. I have the latest version of IOS on the phone (13.1) and all my software is up to date. You have supplied me with a new SIM but that has made no difference either. Please would you check your signal, software etc to see if there is a problem with that or between that and my phone. My home postcode is HA5 2PW, but as I stated earlier this problem is with me wherever I go and is becoming seriously annoying. I know the Vodafone signal is very strong in my area and my girlfriend's service with another carrier, whilst not as strong as Vodafone, is also better than mine. Right now where I am I have one bar and that keeps disappearing so I have no signal at all.

Regards.

40 REPLIES 40

Totally agree. As well as my poor phone signal, I've been noticing quite often that my broadband certainly isn't performing as 100Mb plus, per second broadband should be. Quite often when streaming something on TV, as soon as I start using something else, like my phone or laptop, at the same time, I think smoke signals would be quicker! I think my time with Virgin is rapidly coming to an end.

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Despite what VM 'might' say, there is a massive problem with the new purple sims, I have had poor signal problems with the new sim , which has led to battery draining almost twice as fast on the new sim as on the old one.

Also, my work phone is on EE, yet gets a far better signal than my Vm sim, (even if I swap sims between the phones, the EE is always stronger signal than VM)

This has become worse since the sim swap, and my phone now gets warm and battery levels drop significantly when away from home wi-fi connection, which never happened with the old sim.

Have swapped sims with both work EE, and my 'spare '3' sim phone, and whichever phone has the VM sim in, battery level drops faster than the EE or 3.

Currently have a post :

new purple sim draining battery??  which details the problems I have had... VM signal is lower than EE's before the sim changes, now, it's diabolical..

Only happens when  I am not on wi-fi, and using the sim signal, even Tom-F has stated it's probably signal related..Might well cut my losses and move to '3', as their signal is far better where I am.

(PS..EE's signal strength map is not strictly telling the truth regarding VM signal, as, though they 'use' EE signal, they don't get the whole spectrum of signal, and, it appears that EE  customers take precedence over VM when it comes to signal strength ( work phone on EE always has signal, personal phone on VM struggles sometimes, even though EE sim shows 5 bars, VM shows 1-2) )

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot directly compare Virgin and EE. In many areas EE have 800MHz 4G signal which in general has longer range and better indoor coverage.

A better comparison would be using a SIM from the likes of 1p Mobile, Plusnet or ASDA. They all have the same access as Virgin

@HughJarsse  You have stated you have lower signal on Virgin and poor battery life. Poor signal always drains battery as the phone has to increase power to communicate on a regular basis with the network. My Vodafone SIM will give me over a day at home whilst staying at my daughters on low signal I get far less than a day. That is the nature of the beast. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

Poor signal always drains battery as the phone has to increase power to communicate on a regular basis with the network

Yes, I know, BUT...this didn't happen when my phone had the red sim in..it never got warm whilst idle in my pocket, as it does now with the purple sim...the battery always lasted well over a day, even when away from home at work, and relying on mobile data, yet now, it doesn't last 3/4 of a day, even if I make no calls or texts...definately not right!!  The 'nature of the beast' is that the VM purple sim takes more power and has a poorer signal..irrespective of whether you are at home on wi-fi, or out on mobile data...due to the poor signal that VM will NOT acknowledge!!

All phones consume more power whilst 'roaming' as it were, BUT..the VM purple sim does so to the extent the phone becomes warm, and uses large amounts of battery ,even when sat idle!! My '3'sim in my spare phone, lasts 2 days at home, and over a day 'out and about' compared to the VM's 3/4 day 'out and about' that, sadly is NOT 'the nature of the beast' surely??

Accept that battery life will be less on the go, but to that extent?? strange that the VM sim has the  the same results in 2 different phones ( lasts 3/4 day), and the '3' sim lasts almost 2 days in the same 2 phones??

You cannot directly compare Virgin and EE

Fair comment, BUT, again, how many times on here do you get the reply from STAFF, to check the coverage using the EE signal checker?? Time and time again!!  I know that they are not equal, but VM insist that they are.....FACT

PS Enli.. if you read the whole of my original thread, thread  Re: new purple sim draining battery?? you will see just how much of a comparison I have made, spent time trying all the various options to try to eliminate any other factors..in fact even Tom-F has come to the conclusion that it is a signal problem...

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HughJarsse  I'm surprised you haven't given up I would.

A little unknown thing about Virgin SIM cards is that they are programmed by Proximus of Belgium. That's why some early Android phones show the R roaming symbol and iPhones sometimes try to revert to Belgian formatted phone numbers. 

Also they totally confuse phones working on Java / Symbian and cause all sorts of problems

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@paulchambers061 wrote:

It's not virgin's bad signal, rather the EE signal that they piggyback on as an MVNO. The only difference for signal strength/quality is the missing 800mhz frequency that EE's own customers have. That is used for 4g calling anyway, which along with WiFi calling virgin don't have. 

Virgin won't be able to wave a magic wand, all they can do is check with EE. As you said it happens wherever you go, that would be more difficult anyway. 

Looking at the signal maps you should be getting a decent signal where you are. As I don't have an iPhone, I don't know if there are signal strength apps you can install to compare 2g/3g/4g.

It could be the case that one or more of those gives a better signal at home for calls. If you have WiFi you don't really need 4g at home, as calls are made on 3g or 2g. I move to 2g when at home, as my 3g signal for calls is bad. 

Not sure from your posts if you said you'd tried your sim in another phone. You mentioned others with vm have issues, is that tested on 4g,3g,2g? 

Entirely possible that you have a faulty sim. I know its a replacement, but I'm pretty sure that's happened before on this forum. 

Virgin do have WiFi Calling now https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/wifi-calling

HippieNic
Joining in

Dear Virgin

I'd like to join this thread, with a similar problem. My family currently has, for a few years, two packages with Virginmobile, one of which includes unlimited data, and both of which are used predominantly for internet

I live very remotely and in an isolated dwelling – the area is not served by landline telephone network, nor fibre, so neither is an option open to me. A reliable mobile network therefore is necessary, for both work and personal use, and invaluable lifeline.

Until relatively recently, the network provision was perfectly adequate and manageable – I was reasonably satisfied, happy being able to use my phone in most areas of the (old stone) house and receiving 4g most of the time. Reception has been particularly strong most of the year. 

This all changed sometime between late May and early July, when the signal dropped most of the time to H at best, E often and sometimes dropping out altogether, unless the phone is placed on the windowsill. As you can imagine, this isn't particularly feasible or practical, never mind the inconvenience of being unable to work effectively or efficiently without a strong network reception. 

I stress no other variables have changed throughout this period. Our phones remain the same – an S8 and an S7, up to date with the latest OS version etc – as does our usage. 

I'd like #Virgin to investigate and advise. As both packages are out of contract, I am seriously considering moving to another more consistent and reliable network, one I know has a strong signal here, such as O2, but I'm hoping for better from Virgin first.

Kind regards. 

Currently dissatisfied. 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HippieNic 

The reason may be that you have been swapped from Virgin's old network partner of EE to their new one which is Vodafone. That's a move that has been going on since mid April.

Worth checking the Vodafone coverage where you are.

Hi HippieNic,

Sorry to hear that you hare having mobile signal issues, I've sent you a private message to confirm your mobile account so we can take a look at your service.

cheers,

Corey C

hi, I have similar annoying issues.. 

Virgin Mobile - no reception at home, cant even seem to manually change to another provider in the iPhone settings

Work Mobile- on Vodafone has reception.

if Virgin uses Vodafone why would the phone not have reception?

Chris