Menu
Highlighted
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connection in Welsh Valleys

Hi folk, said this before, I know about computers but phones elude me.

weve just bought a second hand caravan in a shallow valley with hills all around, Powis, Wales. Signal is erratic, 2 bars by the second tree on the field with the tractor in it type scenario. My wife wants to go down next weekend again, final of the season until the beginning of next Feb, so I cannot get out of it! The Albion are on the TV next Sunday and in the past I’ve gladly watched the football on my phone, no problem I’m on unlimited but it’s the signal aspect, sitting by the tractor on the 8th Dec is a no go.

So come on peeps tell me how?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection in Welsh Valleys

Hello

As virginmedia use the EE network you can check https://coverage.ee.co.uk/coverage/ee for the coverage.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There is coverage but it’s erratic on the site. On the site there are places where I get 4g 1bar but if there is a few of us trying that place disappears, at the top of the hill we are talking 4 or 5 bars.
Surely someone’s been through this?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

As Virginmedia are not a full mobile network provider and rely on EE to provide the signal then I am afraid that there isn't much Virginmedia can do about this, until EE place a mast in the valley, do you have wireless available on site ?

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As someone who travels around and camps in Wales regularly this is quite common.

Last camp on the boarder had no signal at all on any network. 

You need to ask round the site or speak to the owners as to what network people are using 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

notnamedFred
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Enlli have you tried signal boosters?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Never tried a booster as I'm never in one place for more than a few days. I find some campsites or the local pub have Wifi if I'm stuck.

I use a dual SIM phone using Voxi and Three so no signal on both is rare. Additionally Three has Wifi Calling so if Wifi is available I can make a call.

Virgin do not have access to EE 800MHz 4G which gives wider coverage in some rural areas so someone at your site may have better coverage even though you would think EE and Virgin would be the same.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos