cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to wrong number even though number dialled is correct

jock_183
Joining in

I have seen that others are experiencing a similar problem. I am dialling a Virgin landline from a Virgin mobile and sometimes get an answer from a completely unknown recipient, sometimes can get no answer from the person called. Yesterday, my intended call rang at the correct place and the person at the other end was hearing a conversation with a third party, completely different to the call I was hearing. This is truly messed up. The number I am dialling is set up on speed dial and works often enough to know it is correct, so I cannot be mis-dialling. The problem is happening often enough to warrant serious investigation. I am sufficiently worried to stop using the mobile to phone this number and use my own landline instead since I cannot guarantee who is being connected in. Can anyone say how to report this to Virgin Mobile? I can find no options for this sort of problem within the Virgin Media website.

63 REPLIES 63

Hi Carley,

It's a local landline number, which was dialled from the phone app without a +44 prefix. It's an intermittent fault that I cannot reliably reproduce and I doubt the children's school will want me phoning them repeatedly to try and reproduce the problem! So I am saying that I am not in a position to test further, but I can point to specific phone calls placed today and a few weeks ago that had the problem. Those phone numbers show up correctly on my phone bill (so they were sent correctly by the handset to the network) but were routed to the wrong place. It would be good if there were some way of getting diagnostics run on the calls from earlier today. I needed to get through to the school urgently and I was unable to do so.

Thanks

John

Thanks for coming back to us @JohnPercival, would you be able to supply the numbers that you have called via a private message and I will check to see, if we can report anything from here. 

Regards,

Steven_L

You're very welcome @JohnPercival and I will let you know as soon as I have any further updates.

Regards,

Steven_L

The_Hepcat
On our wavelength

I've experienced the same problem when calling a Virgin landline from my Virgin mobile. After a short delay, during which time I could hear no ring tone, I found myself being connected to an unknown doctor's surgery. Furthermore, the callee's phone did ring and displayed my number, but when he answered there was a caller at the other end asking to speak to a doctor.

I managed to reproduce the error by calling my own Virgin landline and heard a recorded message telling me "Ring 999 if you are experiencing chest pains".

Is there a surgery somewhere being plagued by wrong numbers?

On each occasion no ring tone could be heard at my end, so now if that happens I immediately hang up and try again.

I get the impression that a number of people are experiencing the issue I reported back in April. Surely by now, the Forum Team need to be taking this more seriously than just asking questions about who dialled what number. It is apparent that it is happening to a number of people to different phone numbers which suggests a network issue. Time for some more creative thinking, please?

They're looking into my case. The latest update was on Monday: "this has been passed to the mobile team to be investigated as the routing of the land line numbers is correct, it could be a mobile routing issue but we wont know until the team come back to me. I'm hoping that it will be some time this week, I will let you know as soon as I have an update."

If others can share specific numbers and times with the support team by DM then I'm sure that will help them in reviewing the issue.

Hi The_Hepcat, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are also have the same issue as the OP. We're really sorry to hear this and would like to help get things resolved. 

In order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi The_Hepcat, 

Thanks for your patience whilst I waited to hear back from the team on this. 

They have run some checks and confirmed there is nothing wrong with the routing of the calls so we are going to need to investigate further. This has been raised with IT and as soon as I have any information, I will come back to you. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Dibbles88
Joining in
I have the exact problem with one number. My mums. She has dementia and this is infuriating. It rings at her end but she cannot hear me, I however am being connected to all sorts of strangers. I have phoned virgin 3 times to report, they tell me its my phone or BT at mums end. Ive reset network settings, deleted the contacts, been given a new simm and have been told I have to pay £80 to cancel my contract. Is this something to do with us now being on 02 rather than EE? It is obviously a Virgin issue. Please Virgin, someone must know something.

wiltuk
Joining in

I am also having this same problem when calling some numbers