cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to wrong number even though number dialled is correct

jock_183
Joining in

I have seen that others are experiencing a similar problem. I am dialling a Virgin landline from a Virgin mobile and sometimes get an answer from a completely unknown recipient, sometimes can get no answer from the person called. Yesterday, my intended call rang at the correct place and the person at the other end was hearing a conversation with a third party, completely different to the call I was hearing. This is truly messed up. The number I am dialling is set up on speed dial and works often enough to know it is correct, so I cannot be mis-dialling. The problem is happening often enough to warrant serious investigation. I am sufficiently worried to stop using the mobile to phone this number and use my own landline instead since I cannot guarantee who is being connected in. Can anyone say how to report this to Virgin Mobile? I can find no options for this sort of problem within the Virgin Media website.

63 REPLIES 63

Dibbles88
Joining in

Hi, has this issue ever been resolved. Its happening to me. Any advice welcomed.

I am also having the same problem! We also keep getting connected to a Drs Surgery!! A technician is book this morning to look at the issue.

We've changed landline phones, mobile phones, SIM and have been moved over to VoIP - none of this worked. 

Do the numbers people are dialing have double digits eg 11, or 22 in them? We wonder if that may be the issue / cause?

This issue have gone unresolved for about three years now! 😲

Technician visited - a very nice chap!

1. As I am VoIP is can't possibly be a crossed line - fair enough.
  2. I demonstrated / reproduced the issue for the technician.
  3. "This sort of thing happens when you port from another account such as a BT line"
  4. "It's an account or IT issue"
  5. "I've escalated it to the IT team"

So no resolution and I am stuck with a faulty landline. 😞

Hi @Dibbles88

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear of this. What phone are you using please?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for that wiltuk,

To clarify are you calling from a VM mobile to a landline?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi.

Yes I am connecting to BT landlines from a VM.

Hi.

Samsung A20E.

Hi Kain,

Yes that’s right. Doesn’t seem to be a pattern to which landline numbers is happens on, but there’s one I have been calling a lot recently (moving house, so estate agents) where it happens about 50% of the time.

I haven’t noticed it when calling any mobile numbers.

Thanks for confirming.

Do you have this same issue calling any other numbers?

Do you know if anyone who calls your mum has the same issue?

Have you been able to try your SIM card in another handset for a period of time to see if this continues to happen?

When you are connected to a strangers number, do you hear anything different on the line? Or does it continue to ring as normal?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the response.

Have you had this issue previously as well or has it appeared recently?

Thanks again,

Kain