cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for picture messages when all I sent were straight, short texts

Pofadda
On our wavelength

While enduring a hot motorway drive last Friday I sent a trio of messages to my son. I was surprised when I saw  that has been charged for 3 picture messages instead of these texts being seen as part of my text allowance. my text limit was not exceeded and neither were my data and call allowances.

Why might this be?

Also, does anyone know what services DON'T charge for picture messages?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Pofadda,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear that you have been charged incorrectly for picture messages, have you spoken to the team at all to look into this, if not, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you.

Services that dont charge for picture messages, Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp are two of the more popular services that don't charge.

Regards,

Steven_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Pofadda,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear that you have been charged incorrectly for picture messages, have you spoken to the team at all to look into this, if not, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you.

Services that dont charge for picture messages, Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp are two of the more popular services that don't charge.

Regards,

Steven_L

Pofadda
On our wavelength

Thanks for your help. It was almost certainly the iPhone's iMessage's subject-and-note layout that triggered the  uncalled–for £1.50 charging. This probably a hangover from the days when all texts were chargeable and it was felt that the added load of pixels deserved an added fee.It was well understood even then that texts put barely any load on the system at all, but, hey, that's business...

I'm sure that dropping this charge would not impact the company's revenue stream and would reduce the number of irritated customers' complaints.

Cheers

ChrisM

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pofadda wrote:

Thanks for your help. It was almost certainly the iPhone's iMessage's subject-and-note layout that triggered the  uncalled–for £1.50 charging. This probably a hangover from the days when all texts were chargeable and it was felt that the added load of pixels deserved an added fee.It was well understood even then that texts put barely any load on the system at all, but, hey, that's business...

I'm sure that dropping this charge would not impact the company's revenue stream and would reduce the number of irritated customers' complaints.

Cheers

ChrisM

With the advent of RCS messaging the old system of MMS picture messages is really obsolete.

If Apple can be brought screaming and kicking into the RCS camp them MMS would be closed down, sadly they are holding up that progress.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the update @Pofadda.

To further look into this, I have sent you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs