Menu
Swt4ajt
Alessandro Volta
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing mobile number to another sim

So I've just ordered the oomph unlimited and it comes with a shiny new sim.

I already asked the peep on the phone but they told me no.

Whats the chances of swapping my existing number to the new sim to continue using the number?

2000.png
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing mobile number to another sim

It really shouldn't be an issue in this day and age. There seems to be an issue with internal ports (say VM SIM to VM SIM) whereas supplier to another  supplier works fine.

@AlexKid  is the man in the know,  maybe he can elaborate.

Failing an internal solution, port the number to a different supplier (or a VOIP supplier) and back to the new SIM.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Internal ports are not possible with any network, it's not the way a PAC is designed to work.

What does surprise me, it would have been easy for Virgin just to merge your existing account/SIM into the Oomph bundle - instead of starting/sending a new account/SIM.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
AlexKid
Community elder
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Swt4ajt,

unfortunately it's not possible to move a mobile number within the network. However the solution is not actually difficult or too time consuming:

Get yourself a cheap Pay As You Go SIM from any other network (I managed to find an EE one on eBay for 99p delivered with credit on). However you can get PAYG SIM's from almost anywhere but bare in mind that you may be required to top it up first hence my going the eBay route.

1. Call 789 & request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) for the Virgin Mobile number you wish to keep.

2. Once you have your other providers SIM up & running, port your Virgin Mobile number onto it.

3. Once established on the new network. Request a PAC from your new provider then port your number back onto your new Virgin Unlimited SIM.

Sounds like a right palava but in reality I have done this myself within a week from start to finish.

AlexKid 🙂

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@teabag wrote:

What does surprise me, it would have been easy for Virgin just to merge your existing account/SIM into the Oomph bundle - instead of starting/sending a new account/SIM.

Correct.

For both SIM only plans and existing Freestyle plans it is possible to change the plan to the one for the Oomph bundle. There shouldn't be a need to get an additional SIM or port out and back in again.

The only plan where there is a bit of a problem is if you have Classic plan (combined handset and airtime plan contract) and you're still your minimum term. For that situation you would have to buy out of your existing term first before your SIM could be updated with the Oomph airtime plan.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Swt4ajt
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@BenMcr given the order is already in, do you know if it'll still be possible to transfer to the oomph to my main sim or is it too late?

2000.png
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is possible but may take some persuading to get sorted, as the only way to do it now would be to cancel the current Oomph SIM you've got coming, and then upgrade the SIM you want to use instead to the Oomph plan.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own