cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from another supplier

brendanxx
Joining in

Hi,

I want to change from my present supplier. I know I have to get a PAC number but how do I arrange things whereby I move seamlessly from one supplier to another?

10 REPLIES 10

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @brendanxx thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry, as your post does not really clarify, are you looking to obtain your PAC from ourselves?  Or you looking to join ourselves?

Regards

Lee_R

I'm considering changing to Virgin but want to know how I change from my old supplier (with a PAC number from them) to you (or indeed any new supplier)

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Both the old account with the donor network and the new account have to be live at the point of transfer so it can't be seamless. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

In support of enlli,  there has to be an active number to transfer onto (replace) which would need to be provided by the company you're joining.

What I meant by seamless was avoiding a time when I had no service at all. As far as I can remember I get a PAC number from the old supplier whilst still with that supplier. Then I join another supplier and give them the PAC number to retain my old telephone number. The new supplier sends me the new SIM - as soon as I put the sim in the phone and activate it the old supplier cancels the contract. Is that how it goes?

The number port can take up to 24 hours to fully complete.  There may be time during the transfer, where the number may appear to have fully transferred but you may find that can't either receive or make calls/texts or use your data.  This a part of the porting process and not a fault.

Regards

Lee

Thanks - but the rest is as I said?

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not quite  You get a PAC code with is Valid for 30 days. You take out a contract with another supplier and they will send you a SIM on a temporary number. 

Give the new suppler the code and you will be given a transfer date. The old SIM will work till then and you can use it as normal. 

You can give the PAC beforehand when you order, but the new SIM will still have a temporary number. Might save a day but is a bigger risk

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks so much, Enlii - very clear and helpful. When I take out the contract with the new supplier do I start paying for it then and there, whilst I'm still paying for the old supplier, or is it on the transfer date that payment to the old ceases and the new begins?