cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from PAYG to contract or SIM only.

DanteC
Joining in

Hi.  I hardly use my PAYG phone for texts or calls, and only just found about the hefty price increase after finding out that two texts cost me £4.  So I noticed that there's a Black Friday deal to get various things cheap, but I can't see an obvious way to change to it?  
I want to keep my original number, but the SIM only plan implies that I'd get a new SIM card, when I want to keep my old one.  

14 REPLIES 14

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There isn't a way to do it online I don't think. To upgrade from PAYG while keeping the same number you'd have to do it over the phone.

You may still get sent a new SIM card, but if you did it would retain your existing number.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DanteC, please call us on 0800 183 1150 so that we can do the upgrade 

Kind regards 

Chris. 

Thanks Chris, Ben (& DanteC for asking the exact question I had, that didn't seem to have an answer in Help)

I just switched from PAYG to 3GB, Unlimited mins, keep number, PAYG balance transferred for £6 p.mo. (12 mo. contract. Black Friday deal, normally £10 p mo. ?) by calling the number Chris gave.

No new SIM was necessary.

I can't understand why this transaction wasn't possible from my account page.

👍📱

hello

im in need of changing my package from payg to sim only pay monthly tariff (i have a purple sim card which was sent to me last year)....was it easy to do by calling that phone number and did they send you a new sim card to use or did you just leave your old sim card in your phone and if so did it just carry on working all ok 

hope you can answer me 

sue 

Hi suechapman,

Thank you for your post. 

To change from a PAYG to PAYM you would need to speak with our sales team. 

You can call them on: 0800 052 0238  the sales team will be able to go through all information for you. 

^Martin

Hi

thank you for your reply 

is that number a uk call centre or a foreign one?

can you keep the same sim card or do you have to put the new one in your phone ..my existing sim card is one of the purple ones that was sent to me last year 

sue 

Thanks for your reply, suechapman,

The number connects you to the first available agent. This can be onshore or off. Another option is that you can register your PAYG number online first. That way you can take your time and view then choose a SIM Pay Monthly tariff. Please keep in mind that if you have not used your PAYG SIM in a while then the SIM may no longer be active. If you would like us to check this for you we can, just let us know.

Cheers,

Corey C

My number  is active as I use it everyday 

It's a purple sim that was sent last year to replace the red ones

My plan is the daily plan but I buy jam pack that renews each month from my balance on my account

I've heard that virgin are getting rid of the payg tariffs in October so that means I need to change to sim only pay monthly as I need to keep the same number 

I haven't had a letter stating the above yet but just read it on here ..so is this true or not

It's true that Virgin are discontinuing Pay As You Go, but you don't have to stay with Virgin to keep the same number. You could move your number to any other network and stay on Pay As You Go. You just need a PAC code which can be obtained via text.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi...