Menu
Highlighted
deflorence
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Changing Mobile

I have been wanting to upgrade my mobile, from J5(2016) to a Honor X8 (6.5" screen, a delight for my old age eyes). Unfortunately, you do not carry this model.

It looks like I may have to get the Honor X8 (Sim free) separately (e.g. from John Lewis). If I do, I trust the current Sim and the mobile's new EIMI will not start a war with one another. Note that I am happy with my current tariff, since as I am retired, I use little Mobile data and connect to my home WiFi.

If I then sell the J5, it may have to be network unlocked, so that it can function as Sim free, on any UK network.

Am I correct in the above 2 assumptions?

With thanks, Bruno.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing Mobile

Hi Bruno, 

Thank you for getting in touch.

As long as the sim fits the handset model, you should have no problem using this.  You will need to ensure the handset is open to our network in able to use your tariff. 

Your J5 handset may already be unlocked but if not you will need to acquire an unlock code from our team. This can be done by contacting 789 or 0345 600 0789.

Thanks, 

Nat
deflorence
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Nat. I will probably need a new Sim from Virgin. My current Sim is 15 x 12mm, so it's a Micro Sim. The Honor X8 takes a Nano Sim (12.3 x 8.8mm). I will make a request when ready to switch phones. All the best.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No worries deflorence,

Always happy to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like you have a quite old SIM, the new SIM's are the push out 3 in 1 SIM's, so you could order a replacement now and use as Micro in your phone and then the day you buy a new phone, you would just push out the Nano size from the Micro and place in new handset :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
deflorence
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My current Sim was provided by Virgin itself when I went from Galaxy S2 to the J5(2016).

Thanks for the tip, I will order a replacement first thing Sat morning.

A "push out 3 in 1 SIM", as you said, Mister Elder.
Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
deflorence
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is to order a "push out 3 in 1 SIM".

I enclose picture of current Sim, used in J5(2016).

With thanks.Sim-Pic.pngThe Sim in J5(2016)

0 Kudos
deflorence
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I managed to push out the Nano sim from the Micro sim, to put it in my new phone, and all is well. I got Virgin's texts re setting up fone for Internet & pic messaging. Extracting the Nano sim is a delicate operation: very gently, you fold up & down one of the edges of the Micro sim, until it becomes loose. The other edges then become easy to detach.

Big thanks to all who advised on this.

0 Kudos