Menu
esko
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Carphone Warehouse Monthly SIM

Yesterday I received a Pay monthly SIM from Carphone Warehouse for Virgin Mobile, it is £7 p/m on a one month rolling contract with 1500 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB data. I have put the SIM in my phone and gone through the usual SMS/MMS settings however the SIM doesn't seem to be active, I can't make any calls/texts or use data, I downloaded the Virgin Mobile app and it says I have £0 credit and that I am on the starter package. 

I found one other thread on the forums with the exact same situation and it was resolved by Carphone Warehouse sending a manual connect form to Virgin however when I contacted Carphone Warehouse about the issue they told me to talk to Virgin about it.

Any chance someone from VM can take a look providing I send them all the necessary details?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Carphone Warehouse Monthly SIM

If the app is showing Starter Package and £0 credit then it is reading it a a PAYG  SIM

This from CPW https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/virgin/sim-card.html#!dealType=pm may help

Seems it has happened before. Personally, I would say it is up to CPW to sort out 

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin have not actually sold any 1 month sim-only plans for a very long time now.

The 1 month plans I see advertised on Carphone Warehouse do look old and outdated plans - so I believe that is where the problem is, Carphone Warehouse sold you a plan which Virgin do not sell/have anymore 🥴

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
esko
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi enlli & teabag, thanks for the quick replies.

In your opinion is there basically no chance that I will be charged the £7 p/m as it appears to be a PAYG SIM?

If I'm not going to be charged anything then it is no harm done and I'll probably be going for a similar SIM elsewhere.

0 Kudos
teabag
Superstar
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would hope nothing would be taken, all the Virgin sim-only are 12 month contracts, and that is not what you sign for.

uSwitch is a good place to see what sim-onlys are around at the moment, set the "sorted by" to "monthly cost", it will also tell you if a monthly plan or 12 month plan. https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would guess you won't be charged. 

Did you sign any sort of paper work with CPW or did they just charge you for the SIM?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
esko
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No signing of paperwork as it was all done online, all the bank/card details must have been purely for the credit check then. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos