cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive calls while EU roaming (Greece)

Egm177
On our wavelength

Device : iPhone 12 mini iOS 15.5

I can make calls to UK but cannot receive calls, I spent a 4 long hours with virgin mobile support with no success. I have seen similar posts where you change the SIM application setting to a manual mode for international network selection and I  have tried using  the COSMOTE  and WIND GR networks.
My phone rings and connects I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me. If I initiate the call it works fine. I checked my mobile preferences and confirmed I have enabled the Going Abroad setting and disabled international call barring.  Checking my online account I looked at my recent usage and all international roaming received calls are flagged as “in Plan? NO”

I have no issues with mobile data and can receive WhatsApp calls and texts.

Any clues where the problem lies?

56 REPLIES 56

When I joined around October

Going back end of week but need to receive a call from my bank to authorize payment and can't wait that long

Is there a number I can call to have this fixed? I tried everything must be something at network level

Asked friends to call me from the UK and always same issue. Tried a call from a Portuguese number and it worked

Thanks for coming back to me.

I can look into this for you, but I can't guarantee a fix before the end of the week - check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

The alternative would be to call our team on 0345 454 1111 or 150

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I'm in Portugal for 5 weeks and cannot receive calls from the UK, I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me.  I've tried both Nos and other providers but no joy.  My phone settings are as they are supposed to be.  As I work in the telecom industry this is called one-way audio and probably a net work issue.  Can someone please look into this urgently as I need to receive calls consistently.  Thank you in advance.

Hi RonGriff,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Apologies that you're experiencing issues whilst in Portugal with your mobile receiving incoming calls.

We do have some instructions which may help the issue your experiencing.

Can you perform the following?

ANDROID USER:

As you're using an Android phone, follow these steps: Select Apps from your home screen > Virgin SIM toolkit > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. Once this has been done, you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you.
IPHONE/IOS USER:

As you're using an iPhone, follow these steps: Settings > Phone > SIM Applications > Roaming > Mode > Manual > International. If you're using a newer iOS it'll be under Mobile Data instead of phone. Once this has been done, you might need to reboot. Let us know if this works for you.

Please try the above and come back to us if your still experiencing issues.

Kind regards Jodi. 

I've had the same issue in Portugal, also tried everything on my phone

there is for sure a network issue, Virgin has to look at it and stop asking for reboots

Hi Andrelsilva, thank you for returning to the thread with an update - does this mean you are currently experiencing the same service issues whilst in Portugal? I know you have mentioned previously having the same issues. 

I would recommend to anyone using our mobile services whilst abroad that they are familiar with:

Please let us know if you have tried all of the troubleshooting steps outlined in the articles above, but are still experiencing issues so we can offer further support! 

All the best. 

Molly

Egm177
On our wavelength

I had the same issue in Rhodes but returned before the issue was resolved. I had three days of reboots and altering settings, I even had two different phones with two different virgin SIM cards exhibiting the same one-way audio issue.

It appears there is a reluctance from customer services to escalate the issue to network services.

Hi Egm177, welcome back to the community!

Thank you taking the time to give your feedback and post about your experience. 

Sincerest apologies that you have also experienced issues using your mobile abroad!

Regarding your comment at the end of the post about your experience with customer services - are you able to advise which channel of communication you are referring to? (Eg, Phone, text, Whatsapp, Social Media, or community forums)?

If you would like us to raise a complaint with your feedback so we can investigate your case further please let us know, and we will send you a PM to support with this. 

All the best! 

Molly

Egm177
On our wavelength
Hi Molly

I will keep my powder dry at the moment but I will be travelling to Portugal in September and if the same issue arises I will probably move to a new provider.

Thank you for coming back to us Egm. I appreciate your restraint for the time being. 

I sincerely hope that you do not experience any further issues whilst travelling abroad. 

Please follow the steps in this article to ensure you are set up to travel abroad with your mobile service. 

If any issues do arise please get back in touch via this thread so one of the team can offer support! 

All the best. 

Molly