Menu
ShaneUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling mobile phone contracts

Why is this made so hard i ask myself ... ?

Picture this, you know you want to end your contract, so you contact virgin media customer services, you make it very clear using extremely precise information in a nice relaxed polite manner that you wish to pay the remaining fee and cancel your contract with them

Example:

hi!! can you tell me how much it will cost to cancel my contract early, thk u can i go ahead and do just that please

just like per your T&Cs (sounds easy right.... ?) 

well its not because the bright folks at virgin media made a department called retentions, and they make this very simple task extremely difficult (in fact abusive) what happened to good old customer service....

.... Does anybody know ?

... what about the various mods here in this forum, do they even know ?

... how about the owner of this entire company (im sure hes a honest to god pillar of society) perhaps he knows ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling mobile phone contracts

The owner of this company is the mega corporation American Liberty Global, owners of many things such as Formula One. 

I doubt they are pillars of society.

0 Kudos
ShaneUK
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

owners of formula 1 eh ?

(you would expect them to know how to run a company then, not to mention not be worried about losing £1.30 per month)

Its been several hours now since i asked to cancel the contract and im still recovering from the ordeal...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What sort of contract do you have?

Do you pay one Direct Debit or two?

If the latter the you can easily cancel the airtime as it is 30 day rolling and just carry on paying for the phone.

0 Kudos
ShaneUK
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was paying two direct debits, i finally got it cancelled in the end, was told it takes 24hrs for the SIM card to transfer over as a pay n go in effect, at which time i will be giving the handset away as i dont want the thing anymore. If im perfectly honest i have no idea why i bothered getting one because i simply have no use for mobile phones but there ya go...

anyway as i understand things its all settled now, and all that remains is the hope this post makes somebody in this company rethink their approach with retentions and next time i phone up to cancel the remaining mobile handset when i say i just want to cancel it, they just cancel it instead of subjecting me to a onslaught of abusive personal questions for almost half an hour.

Not so much to expect is it really !! 

It was all pretty straight forward if you ask me, take my final payment, end the contract, but not what virgin media Philippines had in mind. Due to financial limitations i cant afford to simply end all services with virgin media and switch but it will be happening now. at least i know every other virgin media service i have is already out of contract and can just be removed in due course.

mind ya at this rate im expecting to see another payment leave my account, honestly expecting that trick to happen., not to mention a bunch of sales calls from them until the end of time... it all makes me laugh, if i decide to quit shopping at tesco, they dont send a team around my house trying to convince me otherwise, and if i return a product don't stand there asking me where i plan to buy my next toaster either. 

its was truly a pathetic experience...

0 Kudos
ShaneUK
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

oh its not over, apparently it takes them a month to switch of the phone, dont recall it ever taking a month to deliver it and take the first payment out of my account, but for some reason you gotta wait a month for it to turn off....

if this company somehow thinks im going to mess up and turn that handset on, make a call, or anything of that nature so you can grab another handfull of cash forget it virgin media

take ya handset, yoru service, and ya deals and stick em some place safe

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ShaneUK,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for posting. I do apologise for any difficulty in arranging a cancellation or confusion regarding the process.

Just to clarify, we would always require 30 days notice to disconnect, as per our terms and conditions which form part of your contract. Any calls made or other services ussed during this period would be taken from your allowances/charged as normal, but would not delay or cancel your disconnection.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
ShaneUK
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it was more intentional abuse, and torture rather than difficultly rachael, you see when i relive this phone i can literally feel Jesus Christ telling my soul to calm down because what i want to do is make them feel hostage in return, i want your retentions department to understand what is like to be held hostage, just like when im on the phone taking nothing but rhetorical abuse unable to escape because to get what i need and want, your call operative has to take my card details and so what it makes me FEEL like i want to do now is get them all held hostage in a room and no matter how much any one asks to go home to the family, i wont let them...

instead it makes me feel like doing things like to ask them questions instead of giving them what they want, like would you rather stay and get abused, and tell them meaniless crap like but i dont want you to leave. you see it wasnt difficult it was the worse phone call i have ever had in my whole F life

thats how it makes me feel, it wasnt difficult, it was a nightmare!! 

so what can you do to help Rachael (sine you want to help so much) this is what you can do, you can take this information to the highest level of virgin media and tell them that they need to ensure retentions are no paid commission to abuse the customer when they want to leave, make his business practice more honest and stuff so that i dont want to leave in the first place, and most important next time i ring up (which i will be when i can afford to do certain steps) to cancel every aspect of virgin media, tell them im certain thats what i want, and to just do it

and... just to give you people a taste of your own crap.... that request is "as per our terms and conditions"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your feedback ShaneUK 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
ShaneUK
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

helpful advice on playing a bill, does this sound like im having a issue paying a bill john .. ?

what is wrong with you people...

what i needed them to do johnny boy was cancel my contract and my direct debits and since virgin media controls both of them it wasnt as simple as pressing a few keypad keys over a automated payment line son. it required a person, not that virgin media has any of them working for them, but that is what it required...

what else should i have expected, it always boils down to me paying the bill with you lot

0 Kudos