On our wavelength

I can't send or receive text messages 

15 REPLIES 15

phumph1
Joining in

me too

phumph1
Joining in

No point in texting if I'm not receiving texts!

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Morning Steve7555,

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues sending/ receiving text messages.

Have you been able to get this sorted since posting?

Can you confirm what handset you have? Have you changed the SIM recently?

Alex_Rm

Hi phumph1,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry you're also having an issue with sending/ receiving texts. 

If you're still having a problem with this can you please make your own post so we can help you.

Alex_Rm

Having tried phoning 789 and giving up waiting and no point pressing 1 to start a text conversation as I wasnt receiving (or sending) texts, I had a look at other threads on here to find innumerable people have had the same problem which is solved by turning wifi calling off.  I didn't know where that was at first so turned wifi off completely and lo and behold messages from days ago came through, including cancellation of a flu jab that was supposed to take place today..  I've since found and turned off wifi calling and am still receiving texts.  This is clearly an issue with Virgin and I'm surprised and diappointed that this hasn't been made clear to all subscribers sooner.

Steve7555
On our wavelength
Yes thanks spent 45 min on the phone to 789 finally they sent a new sim out but to activate the sim I had to send a text to get started couldn't send text from the phone that was the original problem so another 45 on the phone but sorted now thanks

I have been having problems with the SMS text messaging service for about 3 months now, affecting the sending and receiving of SMS text messages (sometimes sending texts is ok, sometimes not; often I receive texts several hours later, or the next day, or several days later, some texts have never arrived). I have now had around 5 or 6 frustrating phone calls with Virgin customer services tech support over a period of weeks, each one lasting anything up to 1-1.5 hours (including waiting times to speak to someone). Eventually and vey grudgingly they sent me a new SIM card 3 weeks ago which has improved things a bit re sending texts (people are at least receiving them more often than not), but I am still not getting other people's texts when I should (they still arrive at best several hours later, or the next day, or never). Today I tried Virgin again, and we have now figured out that texting works fine and instantly (both sending and receiving) as long as I turn my WIFI off on my phone. As soon as I turn my WIFI on, it stops working again.

Our broadband/ phone/ TV etc at home is from Virgin. My mobile phone contract is with Virgin. Virgin told me that I shouldn't have my WIFI on (my mobile phone) all day anyway, as that "depletes the battery life over time" and that I should keep the WIFI on my phone off (despite the fact I mostly use my mobile phone all day for internet/ email/ WhatsApp, for work and personal use), OR that I could keep my WIFI on and just turn it off when I am expecting a SMS text message (because I am obviously psychic and know when one is due!). When I said that that it was not a workable solution to have a smart phone where I could EITHER text OR use WIFI-based functions, and that they were therefore not fulfilling their contract to me, I received only a dismissive reply "just see how it goes for a while".

Interestingly I had the same thing happen with my previous phone (unlocked handset but Virgin SIM only contract), towards the end of  the handset's life. Everything was fine for about a year when I got my new/ current phone (Virgin contract phone) but then the same problems with texting (as described above) started up again.

Has anyone found a satisfactory solution to this (and I don't mean turning WIFI on and off all the time)?

Ok, I have solved the problem with texts not being sent or received. Go into 'Phone' / settings / Wi-Fi calling. Turn this off. It doesn't matter if your Wi-Fi is on or off in your general settings, either is fine, but the problem with texts not being received (or sent, sometimes) is with Wi-Fi calling being on  for your phone setting. As soon as I turned that off, even with my Wi-Fi being on in general settings for everything else, texting (sending and receiving) worked fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gundi wrote:

Ok, I have solved the problem with texts not being sent or received. Go into 'Phone' / settings / Wi-Fi calling. Turn this off. It doesn't matter if your Wi-Fi is on or off in your general settings, either is fine, but the problem with texts not being received (or sent, sometimes) is with Wi-Fi calling being on  for your phone setting. As soon as I turned that off, even with my Wi-Fi being on in general settings for everything else, texting (sending and receiving) worked fine.

I need WiFi calling so it isn't really a fix, depending on your situation.

It's currently being investigated, based on my discussions with a VM staff member:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Not-recieving-texts-through-Wifi-Calling/m-p/4556...