cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls or texts after porting to VM

penholder6679
Joining in

Since porting my number from EE to VM nobody outside of VM can call or text me. They just get number invalid prompt and texts never arrive. It's been over a week and I've only just realised after trying to make a payment online and my bank being unable to send me a verification code. 

I have swapped phones, reset settings, disabled WiFi calling and VoLTE etc. Nothing helps. Looking at the forums it looks like a split port issue. Any ideas? Thought I would try here as every post I've found said customer service over the phone was next to useless. 

33 REPLIES 33

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @penholder6679 thanks for your post, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised here regarding your service.

What date was your port completed please, and does mobile data work or is this impacted too?

Can you please try to restart your handset to see if this helps?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Number was ported on the 17th, data works, so do outbound calls and texts. Also, other number from VM can call and texts me but not any other network or landlines.

I have restarted my phone and even used another one to rule out an issue with mine, no change.

Hi @penholder6679 thanks a lot for your reply, no problem at all.

Can you please try a manual network search in your phone to see if this helps, and connect to the network you need?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tried that already, tried 2G only, etc. nothing is working.

Hi @penholder6679 thanks for your reply, okay understood.

Final thing before we take this further, can you please advise if you have updated the phone number in your phone's settings too if showing anything different?

Many thanks

Tom_W

My phone says number unknown in the about section and there is no way to update that as far as I can tell. It's an android phone and looking online it seems this is not something you can do.

Hi @penholder6679 thanks a lot for your reply, understood.

Please kindly expect a PM from me to arrive shortly so I can look into this further for you.

Reply directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

penholder6679
Joining in

Just to provide an update for the benefit of others who might have the same issue or are thinking of switching their number to VM.

I have spent multiple hours on the phone to customer services who are pretty much useless. I have logged a complaint and been told someone will call me within two hours. That did not happen, after another day I have been told those call backs take 24-48 hours, so I waited another two days and nothing. I called back and apparently they have tried to reach me but I did not answer either of my phones, mobile doesn't work obviously, and landline shows no missed calls but it's my word against theirs.

At this point, they have escalated the issue to this technical team who do not have a phone number and who might provide an update within 3-5 working days. But, and here is the kicker, this does not mean they will resolve the issue in that time frame, there is no ETA about resolution.

I have not been able to receive phone calls or messages from outside of VM since 17th of January. I only know one other person on that network, I don't get texts from my bank when I make online payments, I cannot sign into my childcare account or various others services that rely on a working phone number. VM is at this point passing the buck onto EE, where the number came from, and apparently there is nothing they can do aside from waiting. EE don't case because they have closed my account and as far as they are concerned number it with VM now.

I would say, if you are thinking of joining, think again. The fact they switched me over, texted me it's all done, and then be completely clueless that switch did not actually happen is beyond the joke. The handling of this issue is pathetic.

Now I am worried that I cannot even transfer away from VM until this is resolved as I really don't want to lose my number.

Hi @penholder6679

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with the number port.

I can my colleague sent you a private message.

If you could please respond to him directly, he can provide an update for you. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide