cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make outgoing calls

Jab9000
Joining in

Hi everyone, 

Essentially, I haven't been able to make outgoing calls for the last couple of weeks. I'm able to receive calls and all my messaging apps still work fine, but when I dial anyone I get the "engaged" tone.

I recently changed the billing information on my account through Virgin Media customer service and they started going on about transferring my number to a new yet identical tariff on a new SIM that I didn't have to use (which is just as well because I never received it anyway), so I suspect that's when the problem started. I see quite a few others have had the same issue or similar, but haven't seen anything remotely helpful in any of the discussions beyond "We've sent you a private message".

If anyone has managed to fix this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Jab9000,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your outgoing calls and your billing, the reason we would have gone to private message with other users is to confirm account details and any information that cannot be shared in the public forum. I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would also now need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your reply @Jab9000, there are a few things that you can try.

Are you able to try the sim card in a different handset?

Would you be able to turn off your handset and remove the sim card, please give the sim card a little wipe, then put back into your handset and reboot?

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Jab9000,

Have you had the chance to try your sim in a different handset?

Thanks

Steven_L

Hi Steven, 

Just tried my SIM in another handset and outgoing calls are working on that one, just not this one. Been swapping the SIM back and forth between them and the problem is definitely isolated to my handset. 

Many thanks, 

Jack

Thanks for coming back to us @Jab9000, did you purchase the handset from ourselves or via the manufacturer? 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven, 

Thanks for being so on it, it's much appreciated!

I believe I purchased the phone through Virgin as part of my contract. We recently changed the airtime payment details into my name, but I think the handset finance payments are still on the original direct debit. The handset payments are due to end next May or June I think (though I'll be keeping the handset for as long as it's working, it's been looked after and is still in excellent shape), and I believe my tariff is now on a rolling month-to-month contract which I'm happy to keep.

Thanks again, you're a star 

You're very welcome @Jab9000, as your handset would still be under warranty, we could send this off to be checked and for any repairs to be carried out.

Would you be interested in doing that? 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven!

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, it's been an unexpectedly busy week.

A phone repair sounds fantastic, thank you. Will I need to take it somewhere or will I have to post it? And will I need to include details of my various security settings or is it easier if I disable them beforehand, and finally will I need to leave my SIM in my current handset or can I put it in a spare handset until mine is fixed?

Thanks again, you've been great!

-Jack

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jab9000, 

Thank you for your reply and we can certainly get this booked in for you, i will pop you over a PM now, just keep an eye open for the purple envelope 🙂 

Zoie