cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't hear international calls

piemandan
Joining in

Hello, 

I have a very interesting issue with International calls. Basically, if someone phones me, it rings as normal and I answer as normal. I then cannot hear anything from the caller, no sound whatsoever but they can hear me. 

I have recently been in Italy and Germany and it happened both times. I have to phone them back on WhatsApp, which isn't ideal. 

Any ideas what's going on here? Everything on my account is set to accept these calls. 

I'm back in the UK now but will be going to Spain in a few weeks. It's important my calls work for my business. 

Thanks,

Dan. 

98 REPLIES 98

Hi Spanglypants

Thanks for coming back to us, is this happening only when abroad or receiving calls from international numbers whilst in UK? If it's the first one, this would only be able to be tested when next abroad.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

My wife and I are in Majorca at the moment and have had problems with calls since we arrived. We joined Virgin Mobile last week and calls were ok in England. I contacted 150 and changed the Sim Application setting to manual and international as requested, it made no difference. If I ring my wife the call connects but neither of us can hear each other, if my wife rings me it’s the same. Both my daughters are with us,my wife and I can ring both daughters ok, one is on O2, the other has been with Virgin Mobile for 4 years. Calls to my son in England ,who is with O2 , are ok but when he calls me neither of us can hear each other. Calls to my neighbour in England, who is with Tesco Mobile, are ok ( also ok to home phone) but when he calls me neither of us can hear each other. All 4 phone are using Movistar, other networks can be found but show no signal so I can’t try a different network. Internet, Whatsapp, texts are ok. With Dial Assist off calls can be made but with the problems detailed above. With Dial Assist on I get a short announcement in French when trying to ring my neighbour or my wife, calls to both daughters and son in England are ok. 789 doesn’t work with or without DA, get the French announcement, 150 works ok with or without DA. Since arrival my contacts have been reformatted from 0123 456789A to 01 234 56 78 9A. Sorry this is so long but hopefully the information may help sort what appears to be a common problem.

I forgot to add that my phone is a iPhone 7, my wife’s an iPhone 8, daughter with O2 an iPhone 13, daughter with Virgin Mobile an iPhone 12, son in England an iPhone 13. All have latest software.

Hi Smoggy239, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the roaming service. Can you confirm that roaming is switched on with the handset? and do a network search for me please? Also can you confirm if WiFI calling is switched on? ^Chris

Hi Chris, roaming is switched on, wi-fi calling is not, it wasn’t necessary on previous holidays in Spain when we were with Plusnet, everything just worked without this hassle. A network search showed Vodafone ES, Orange SP and Yoigo as well as Movistar. Attempts to connect to Vodafone and Orange failed due to No Service, Yoigo connection was poor and intermittent , all calls failed “ sorry the number you have dialled does not exist”. As it is Midnight in England I can’t try family and neighbours but used 789, 150 , my home phone and my wife. The Yoigo connection is showing 3G and is being used to post this reply. Data have not been a problem, just no speech on calls.

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will send you over a private message so that we can check our side for you. I will admit though if it is affecting more than 1 phone with the same issue, it does sound like it would be the connection whilst you're abroad - which is completely out of our control. 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Thanks Ryan, we both have the same phones as last time we were here, calls were ok with the Plusnet sims and I’m sure the the network was Movistar. The contacts numbers weren’t reformatted on our previous holiday, may be relevant , may not be.

As previously mentioned, it only happens when receiving any calls when I am abroad. I am fully aware that I will have to wait until I am abroad again before I can test. I have received a new SIM from you, fingers crossed. 

But hey, if it doesn't work when I'm abroad next, you won't be able to ring me to help me anyway 🤷🏼

No problems with hearing on calls now we are back in England. The problem with contact numbers being reformatted appears to have been caused by changing the language setting in Settings/General from English Uk to English Us and then back again to English Uk at the request of the first 150 agent. Making these changes again ( in England) and restarting the phones restored the expected normal format. I checked my daughter's phone ( with Virgin), the Sim application roaming settings were "automatic" and "English" and her phone worked fine without having to change them.

wotalot
On our wavelength

Both my wife and l having same issue in Spain.

Incoming and outgoing calls connect but neither party can hear anything.  Can't even call each other though both phones are on Virgin. Texting does work.  See plenty of similar complaints on this thread but no answers. Can someone assist