cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't hear international calls

piemandan
Joining in

Hello, 

I have a very interesting issue with International calls. Basically, if someone phones me, it rings as normal and I answer as normal. I then cannot hear anything from the caller, no sound whatsoever but they can hear me. 

I have recently been in Italy and Germany and it happened both times. I have to phone them back on WhatsApp, which isn't ideal. 

Any ideas what's going on here? Everything on my account is set to accept these calls. 

I'm back in the UK now but will be going to Spain in a few weeks. It's important my calls work for my business. 

Thanks,

Dan. 

98 REPLIES 98

It wont solve it, Ive had a new sim and problem persists.

Thanks for that update. Knowing that now, I’ll look into contacting someone in Virgin Mobile IT (Virgin website and LinkedIn are good sources) as it’s clear from all the forum strings that the Forum Team have no idea and appear impotent in forcing a resolution from whoever is responsible. 

Hi Stevenmdavidson,

Maybe BBC Watchdog would be more interested in this problem ( and others) than Virgin Mobile seem to be. 

Yes, that will be the next step after escalating my (our) complaint with Virgin. It’s a significant problem as it has been on-going for many months and is affecting a large number of customers when visiting any (or a significant number of) European countries.

We can certainly appreciate your frustration with this ongoing issue. We are still investigating this and working to have it resolved as soon as possible. 

^Martin

Hi Martin

I hear what you are saying, "We are still investigating this and working to have it resolved as soon as possible.", but part of our frustration as customers is that we have been told this for many months without any kind of detail or update. Exactly what has/is being done to find a solution? Who is tasked with working on it? Some supporting information would help placate the unrest in a growing number of your customers and possibly prevent them moving to other mobile providers. Or is it a more serious network issue that doesn't justify the cost of investigation and these bland statements are simply a stalling tactic?

Thank you for your response stevenmdavidson. With regards to information for the issue and what is being done to resolve this. That information is held by the relevant team working to resolve the issue. Once the issue has been resolved then we would be able to advise this but as this point in time the only update we have is that it is being investigated. 

If customer wish to leave us, we wouldn't like to see them leave us but that is their choice. I would confirm though that we don't guarantee a signal aboard due to you using another companies network. 

With regards to your last question. This is being investigated as has been confirmed multiple times. 

^Martin

Hi Martin_N

Telefonica are the parent company of O2 so the problems I and others experienced using the Movistar network are Virgin Mobile/O2’s responsibility as Telefonica are also Movistar’s parent company. If Virgin Mobile and O2 are a joint company why do Virgin still have a “ Mickey Mouse” system of using a Belgian company to provide service? I feel that this is the root cause of the “ unable to hear on incoming calls when roaming “ , “ Dial assist problems “ , “ contact numbers being reformatted “, “ my phone thinks that it in Belgium “ , e.t.c . Also why do customers have to change roaming settings to “Manual “ and “International “ when abroad and back to “National “ when back in to Uk when other providers SIM cards just work ok? . If Virgin can’t guarantee service abroad why are they still advertising “ Roam like at home”. ?

Hi Smoggy239,

Thank you for your post. As we are on a joint venture there are still Virgin Mobile and O2. Meaning they have different systems and processes. 

The swap is to enable the service to work aboard. 

Roam like home is for using your allowances aboard. It doesn't have anything to do with the signal aboard. 

^Martin