cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get 5G

AlexB2
Joining in

I got a text message from Virgin back in February to say that I should now be able to get 5G but I've yet to get a 5G signal. When I search for networks 5G isn't even an option.

I've tried updating the APN points, rebooting without the SIM and searching for 5G networks all to no avail.

Do I need a new SIM or something?

I live in Cardiff where there are plenty of areas with 5G. My phone is a OnePlus 8 capable of 5G (and has done before moving to Virgin).

7 REPLIES 7

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Here is the official press release put out in January

“those who have already got their hands on a 5G device and purchased one from Virgin Media from April 2020 onwards will automatically receive a boost to Virgin Media’s 5G services. Customers who take a 5G plan won’t need to lift a finger, their services will be upgraded with no need to swap their SIM or activate the service.”

Meanwhile new and existing mobile customers taking a 4G plan will remain on Virgin Media’s mobile service via EE’s network until VM’s agreement with BT Enterprise comes to an end in late 2021. Virgin Media anticipates that all of its mobile customers will have transitioned to the Vodafone network by early 2022.

So basically if you haven't bought a 5G phone from them from April, or signed up to a 5G contract you have to wait till you are moved off EE to Vodafone.

The only good news is that transition is going faster than forecast. You can request a new SIM but there is no guarantee it will move you to Vodafone. It may, or may not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the response, but this is poor from Virgin. When I took the SIM only contract out in July 2020 the message from Virgin was that customers would automatically be moved over as soon as possible, implying all contracts were going to become 5G contracts. The message did not say if I waited until they offered 5G contracts then I could have it straight away, or face waiting 18 months for coverage.

This is poor from Virgin.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"As soon a possible" is the key phrase. In Virgin parlance that means as soon as it your turn to be transferred to Vodafone. Telecom companies do it all the time. I've seen things happen over 2 years after subscribers were told "coming soon."

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's what happens when you use an MVNO.

5G is pretty patchy in places still and I actually don't see a difference between 5G and 4G performance wise for any current uses.

I suppose I've been duped by their marketing then. While my coverage in the city centre is miles better than it was on Three (this one actually works), I suppose hoping for some honesty and transparency on the 5G timeline was a step too far. 

I'm also slightly annoyed that the only way to get any answers is to join a forum and speak to someone not employed by Virgin, but here we are.

Thanks for your help @enlli!

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunate that the move to Vodafone complicates things

Mind you ASDA are doing the same and want it done and dusted in 3 months.

Just don't get me started on how they do roaming!

Thanks for your post and reaching out to the Community Forums, AlexB2,

Sorry that you are feeling duped, rest assured the migration process is still underway. Unfortunately there isn't a set timeline that we can advise except that we intend to have the migration completed by first quarter 2022. You can find out more here: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-launches-5g-services-...    Apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Corey C