cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t connect to a network in Italy

MarkD475
Joining in

Hi I’ve just arrived in Italy and can’t gets network signal. I’ve tried all the advice I can find on the Bir hon web site and even reset network settings in desperation and restarted my phone twice with no results. Please can anyone help I’ve never had this type of problem with any other network. 

4 REPLIES 4

derekheeps
Dialled in

Not an ideal solution , but maybe simplest to  buy a PAYG SIM to use for phone calls while on holiday .

Also for internet etc , seek out WiFi hotspots , which you will find in bars , restaurants, railway stations , hotels etc . I imagine that in Italy every McDonalds branch offers free WiFi same as here . Also places like Costa etc 

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Locate the SIM TOOLKIT and set roaming to International while you are away.

Think it is in Connection settings on iPhones

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @MarkD475, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been experiencing with the Roaming feature whilst in Italy.

Can you please confirm for me if you set up Roaming for the service - on both the sim via your self-care account, and on the handset, before leaving the UK?

Without doing this, there's less chance of Roaming to work as expected whilst overseas

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

`Exactly .

However , having found himself in this position , the best option for the OP might be to buy a PAYG SIM card for one of the local Italian networks ( as long as his handset isn't locked to his home network ) and top it up with enough credit to meet his needs for telephony .

It is important , at the same time , that he must disable data , otherwise the credit will be quickly depleted , and use wifi only for data and internet .

It is an awkward situation , can any of the VM staff advise whether there are partnered networks in Italy , whose SIMS might work on a phone locked to Virgin ?