cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Set Up Roaming Data

SpinyBadger
Joining in

I went abroad today, safe in the knowledge that I had roaming all ready to go. I received an automatic text on arriving in France with details. I'm now in Belgium. My wife and I have received no further communication, while our children (with different providers) got further texts on reaching Belgium.

The initial text said to text ALL to 789922. I tried, but I'm getting no signal, so the message isn't sending. Nor can I phone, despite what looks like a good phone signal.

Making use of some WiFi, I looked up the Virgin Mobile guide online. I followed it. No joy. I tried to sign into my account to manage it that way, but couldn't get in. I asked for a password reset, and you sent it to... my mobile that isn't receiving texts!

Every helpful "fix" you offer relies on me having a functioning mobile connection. When the whole problem is that I don't. 

I don't know if I'll be able to follow this thread, because it's currently dependent on making use of someone's WiFi. 

1 REPLY 1

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi SpinyBadger, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with mobile roaming whilst abroad! 

Before heading out of the country did you set up your APN settings correctly?

Your devices access point name (APN) Should be 'Virgin Mobile' and not any other provider name. 

You also need to ensure you have set up Data Roaming for abroad. 

To do this:

1. Sign in to Your Account
  2. Select the Plans and devices tab
  3. Select the Manage services tab
  4. Turn ON roaming under the Going abroad
  5. Turn OFF international call barring under Call barring.

You may also need to turn Data roaming on within the settings of your Mobile handset. I would recommend referring to their user guide for the handset if needed. 

Following the update of settings you may need to reboot the handset for the changes to be effective. 

You can also try Manually searching for a network if needed. 

Please let us know how you get on following these steps! You can see more info about using your VM mobile abroad here. You can find our Roaming hub here. 

All the best. 

Molly