cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from virgin mobile to virgin landline fail

hashdef
On our wavelength

I have a virgin mobile family plan with 4 phones.  When any of us try to phone home to our virgin landline, the call frequently fails at the first attempt (probably more than 30% of attempts).  The mobile doesn’t get a ring tone but the home phone rings.  When answered, the mobile behaves as if connected (call timer starts counting up) but nothing is heard either end. 

62 REPLIES 62

hashdef
On our wavelength

I don't recall exactly, a few months ago. 

Thanks for the reply @hashdef, when you spoke with the support team what did they advise?

Just to confirm do others on other networks or on the same Virgin mobile network notice this issue when they call you too?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

hashdef
On our wavelength
Your second-line support closed the ticket and said if it wasn't fixed to get it re-opened.
There are no issues except when calling from out Virgin mobiles to our Virgin landline.

SixString
On our wavelength

@hashdef wrote:
Your second-line support closed the ticket and said if it wasn't fixed to get it re-opened.
There are no issues except when calling from out Virgin mobiles to our Virgin landline.

Same here, only calls from Virgin mobiles on our account have issues. All other incoming calls to our landline connect immediately without problem.

Ah I see, and when these 4 phones with the issue are trying to call the landline are they in different locations or is it just one location?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

hashdef
On our wavelength

It happens regardless of where the mobile is at the time of making the call.  While my wife and I are usually calling home from our work locations, it has also happened from multiple other locations.

Do you experience this with any other numbers either mobile or landline? You mentioned it is intermittent and happens 30% of the time.

When you call are you selecting the number from a contact's list? If so, can you try manually dialing this from the handsets does this resolve or improve the issue?

We have also asked for the landline to be checked as for this to happen across 4 separate mobiles would indicate this.

Rob

hashdef
On our wavelength

Since I tried to get things moving on this issue again on Thu 13th, no less than 5 different members of the forum team have chipped in, but unfortunately seem to just keep asking the same question.

To reiterate, I do not have ANY other problems with our mobiles or landline other than when trying to call from our Virgin Mobiles to our Virgin Landline. No one else has trouble calling our landline.

The problem did not occur when our mobiles were with O2 network.

The problem does not happen all the time; sometimes it's ok for a week or more, then it fails repeatedly.  

The mobile knows the call will fail because there is no ring tone.  Switching our home phone to VoIP made no difference.  This to me points to a failure of the Virgin mobile network to connect to the Virgin landline network/exchange for whatever reason.  The scenario suggested by the other user on this thread (SixString, who has EXACTLY the same problem) seems worthy of consideration. 

One of your support people (who called me back when I first reported this) told me this was a known issue that had been seen before.  

I fail to see how "manual dialling" can make any difference from a mobile?  The fact that the call setup seems to work (the landline does ring and appears to connect when answered) but that there is just no audio (either end) or occasionally a crossed line, all points to some network issue.

Hi @hashdef, thanks for your reply.

I do apologise, as I can completely understand that this is a frustrating issue which you want to get sorted.

I've checked your account, and it appears that we've escalated this to second line support for you once again to get this resolved.

Please bear with us further while we look into this once again, and we'll be in touch with you directly when we have a further update.

Regards

Tom_W

SixString
On our wavelength

As the question was asked regarding manual dialling, and of stored numbers on phone, I can add that this was looked into when this fault was reported a long while ago. 

We tried:

• Manual dialling on mobile - fault still present.
  • Manual dialling on mobile yesterday (just for the hell of it!) - fault still present
  • Changed stored number on mobile phone from +44xxx to 0xxx  - fault still present

Also asked above was location of mobile when fault was experienced. The mobile can be next to the landline handset! (when doing tests) or calling from various locations in the UK.